X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jerry Liebler
    • Aug 2015

Rapid Shutdown?

Soon all rooftop PV installations will require "Rapid Shutdown". AFIKT Microinverters implement suitable shutdown as do Solar Edge systems. But to use other hardware whether it be a string inverter, a charge controller or a hybrid inverter requires additional electronics to accomplish the shut down, Tigo appears to be the primary supplier of relevant hardware, they have 2 very different solutions, one using UHF wireless radio communication and another that communicates over the DC wires. Tigo's DC wire system requires a TS4-R-F at each panel and an RSS transmitter "coupled" to the DC wires. With the DC wire system there cannot be optimisers and there is NO monitoring. The Tigo modules that use the UHF wireless communication support monitoring and optionally "optimization". Have I missed any other panel level rapid shutdown systems?
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Panel Level shutdown has not yet been required in my jurisdiction because they have not adopted the latest NEC code. As far as I could tell, Outback doesn't yet make a panel level shutdown and the only one I could find was Tigo as you described. I still need rapid shutdown for the overal system and the Tigo one is less expensive than the Outback solution.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• emartin00
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

I believe MidNite solar has a panel level rapid shutdown device as well.

Comment

• tonycq
        • Apr 2019

CQSola (https://www.cqsola.com/) have Solar Shutdown + Optimisers + Monitoring in one package, but it's only available to Australia and still in pre-sales. Full disclosure though, I'm part of the team that's bringing it to market.
        Last edited by tonycq; 04-22-2019, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• Jerry Liebler
          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by emartin00
          I believe MidNite solar has a panel level rapid shutdown device as well.
          I think this is what you mean. http://www.midnitesolar.com/productP...tOrder=1&act=p

It can be used on every panel but only one per string can also be used to comply with current rules. The Tigo solution is much lower cost (about $50 per panel) for a per panel implementation but offers NO one per string option.

Comment

• Jerry Liebler
            • Aug 2015

Originally posted by tonycq
            CQSola (https://www.cqsola.com/) have Solar Shutdown + Optimisers + Monitoring in one package, but it's only available to Australia and still in pre-sales. Full disclosure though, I'm part of the team that's bringing it to market.
            Is it going to be marketed in the USA? Is the communication done over the DC wires, like Solar Edge or is it like Tigo UHF wireless?

Comment

• tonycq
              • Apr 2019

Originally posted by Jerry Liebler

Is it going to be marketed in the USA? Is the communication done over the DC wires, like Solar Edge or is it like Tigo UHF wireless?
              Absolutely! We're still going through the compliance legislation for each country, so it won't be ready to ship until that's finished. If you want, I can email you when it is. We're not sure when that will be though.

Communications are all done across the DC wires, so no extra Ethernet cabling / WiFi setup is needed on the panels.

Comment

• Jerry Liebler
                • Aug 2015

Originally posted by tonycq

Absolutely! We're still going through the compliance legislation for each country, so it won't be ready to ship until that's finished. If you want, I can email you when it is. We're not sure when that will be though.

Communications are all done across the DC wires, so no extra Ethernet cabling / WiFi setup is needed on the panels.
                Tony,
                I do believe CQ has a winning concept! Hopefully the pricing is competitive with Tigo & Solar Edge. Hopefully the regulatory hurdles can be overcome quickly. I'm certainly interested as it sounds like the CQ system will work like a Tigo system but use the DC wires for all communication with the panel modules. Unlike Solar edge the CQ system functions independently from the inverter, charge controller load. If you have any additional details, my email is: lieblerj@windstream.net

Comment

Working...