X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SolNinja19
    • Apr 2019

Solar Newbie

Hello Everyone,

I am completely new to this forum as well as to the solar panel world altogether, so please forgive me if the question sound trivial.

We bought a house that apparently has 50 solar panels installed on the roof, yet the property has no storage system for solar energy... Allegedly the house uses so much power at baseline (10.000 sf) that storing makes no sense, or so I was told by the previous owner. It's just hard for me to believe that if I am on vacation during 2 sunny weeks for example, that the house will use all the energy from 50 solar panels right away and there won't be any waist. Does this make sense to you guys? Obviously I am inquiring about this as I was thinking of investing into energy storage system but I don't want to spend significant amount of $ if all I'll do is shift energy from one place to another and I actually don't save any money in the long run.

I appreciate all the inputs.
  • littleharbor
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2016

If you're grid tied then the grid is your storage system. If you're off grid then maybe your batteries have been stolen.
    2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• daniel13
      • Apr 2019

Are you selling the power back to the utility through net metering?

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

OP: Most residential PV systems, in the U.S. at least, are under an agreement with the electrical service provider (the power company or "POCO" for short) usually called "NEM", for Net Energy Metering. Check with your POCO and see if such an arrangement is in effect for your system. Then brush up on what NEM is and its benefits, which are nice but changeable as POCOs are finding ways to make NEM less onereous for them.

If your system and the previous owners had NEM, chances are that agreement goes with the system and not necessarily the owner of that system. Again, check with your POCO. If that's the case (and I'm guessing that's more likely than not to be the case), you will not have any on site energy storage.

As for all the hoopla the last 2 - 3 yrs. or so with respect to residential on site electrical energy storage via batteries, it's possible to do it now, but many folks (but to be objective not all folks) with the smart money think that home battery systems aren't ready for prime time just yet in spite of all the sales pitches and greenwash media hype. If you're really interested, do your homework and get informed. Otherwise, you run the risk of your above and self referenced subject ignorance screwing you. If you do choose to get informed, you may see the wisdom of being closer to the last person in your neighborhood with a battery system rather than the first. If you choose to not get informed, wait until the smoke clears. Opinions vary on when that might be. I'd guess very roughly 2-5 yrs. as a dart throw on when.
        Last edited by J.P.M.; 04-16-2019, 12:36 PM.

Comment

• Ampster
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2017

It may depend on your location. Where are you located? Some smart money people with a low cost of funds and a need for tax credits are investing in batteries in California. Some of that is explained by the high energy rates, generous incentives, an energy hedging strategy and in rare cases the desire to have backup power. The concept is to shift energy from one time frame to another, not one place to another.
          Last edited by Ampster; 04-16-2019, 06:01 PM.
          9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Ampster
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2017

Here is an article about a macro trend in energy storage. The smart money may be making big moves in this segment.
            https://ark-invest.com/research/util...=tw-2398137084

I don't know this source, but i dont think it is part of the "Greenwash media". It is plain economics that is being talked about here.
            Last edited by Ampster; 04-16-2019, 09:58 PM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Ampster
              Here is an article about a macro trend in energy storage. The smart money may be making big moves in this segment.
              https://ark-invest.com/research/util...=tw-2398137084

I don't know this source, but i dont think it is part of the "Greenwash media". It is plain economics that is being talked about here.
              Looking at the "about" tab from their website, they look like investment peddlers focused on tech. to me.

Comment

• Ampster
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2017

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Looking at the "about" tab from their website, they look like investment peddlers focused on tech. to me.
                Nothing new in that observation. LOL
                That is generally where one finds economic predictions.
                Last edited by Ampster; 04-16-2019, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Nothing new in that observation. LOL
                  That is generally where one finds economic predictions.
                  That often mean squat and usually/often meant to deceive with the peddlers preying on the ignorant. Wake up and smell the coffee. It's about separating fools from their money.

Comment

• Ampster
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jun 2017

That often mean squat and usually/often meant to deceive with the peddlers preying on the ignorant. Wake up and smell the coffee. It's about separating fools from their money.
                    Sound like you are still relying on Adam Smith for your economic insights.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Sound like you are still relying on Adam Smith for your economic insights.
                      You may, of course, think as you wish. This is way off topic so others be warned, but since you seem to be asking, I look to any/all sources of information but I try to use critical thinking skills and the traits that go with them, and then be selective about who/what to believe when making decisions.

I read "The Wealth of Nations" many years ago during my first college foray. Still on my bookshelf. One of many sources of thought about economics/economic theory I've sourced over the years, but far from the only one.

If you're interested in what Smith may have to say about how morals and ethics may or may not affect conmen mucking things up for the fools who swallow their lies as such matters may be relative to my cynical statements about peddlers preying on the ignorant, I'd respectfully suggest that what Smith had to say about such things can be found in his prior work "The Theory of Moral Sentiments".

Comment

• Ampster
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jun 2017

If you're interested in what ............. Smith had to say about such things can be found in his prior work "The Theory of Moral Sentiments".
                        Yes, many consider it to be his best work.
                        Last edited by Ampster; 04-17-2019, 08:30 PM.

Comment

Working...