X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • craigmandu
    • Apr 2019

Need help understanding options

So I've decided to install a 10 kW array on a ground mount in my yard. Looking at what is online I have some quotes for equipment and am wondering some things.

Right now I'm looking g at 4 rows of 7 panels, each panel is 360w, and puts out roughly 39vdc at 9.9 amps. I was thinking of 2 sunny boy inverters at 5 or 6 kW each.

I assume the best way to configure it would be to connect each row in series, giving me approx 280vdc at 9.9 amps. Here are where my questions start.....

I could combine those strings and run one set of wires to the controller location, but that would up the amps to roughly 40....the sunny boy inverters have 3 inputs but each is limited to 10 amps...so can I run a single cable set to them, then basically run the inverters inputs in parallel on the controller side? Or would it be better to run 4 sets of independent string connections to the inverters? Keep in mind I will probably need to put in dc disconnects for code purposes, so one dc disconnect is obviously easier to manage than 4........

Thoughts? Should I instead look at a single inverter setup?

Thanks for any advice given

Craigmandu
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

If you expect to have much snow, go to Solar Panels for your Home, Grid Tied Solar PV

and read the first STICKEY Snow Tolerant PV Mounting. Bruce Roe

Comment

• craigmandu
      • Apr 2019

This is in Virginia beach Virginia, not much snow activity here....however I do have a single ground mount design using 2" schedule 40 pipe. Buried in concrete to 54" .... That's more for wind considerations, using ironridge xr1000 railing.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by craigmandu
        This is in Virginia beach Virginia, not much snow activity here....however I do have a single ground mount design using 2" schedule 40 pipe. Buried in concrete to 54" .... That's more for wind considerations, using ironridge xr1000 railing.
        Do you have any jurisdictional requirements for system mechanical design as relates to wind considerations ?

Comment

• craigmandu
          • Apr 2019

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Do you have any jurisdictional requirements for system mechanical design as relates to wind considerations ?
          Unsure at this time, I have begun talking to permit office about it. Vendor has indicated design is sufficient for 120mph wind considerations

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

Unsure at this time, I have begun talking to permit office about it. Vendor has indicated design is sufficient for 120mph wind considerations
            You believe a vendor right ? Ground mounts are pretty individualized. The vendor is qualified to stamp and sign off on a wind design ?

He may be correct, but I'd make sure, as you are doing that all code requirements are met, including those for external loadings. Get it in writing.

Comment

• craigmandu
              • Apr 2019

Originally posted by J.P.M.

You believe a vendor right ? Ground mounts are pretty individualized. The vendor is qualified to stamp and sign off on a wind design ?

He may be correct, but I'd make sure, as you are doing that all code requirements are met, including those for external loadings. Get it in writing.
              I have no intention of purchasing g prior to permits being approved. Which I am investigating right now. I have plenty of time, just want it online by December 31

Comment

• macaddict
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jun 2017

can I run a single cable set to them, then basically run the inverters inputs in parallel on the controller side? Or would it be better to run 4 sets of independent string connections to the inverters?
                Interesting question. Following...
                https://pvoutput.org/list.jsp?userid=59404

Comment

Working...