X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reroof now or wait?

The solar folks who have looked at my roof have estimated that the roof as a whole has 10-15 good years left in it. The last installer offered to reroof just the area under the solar panels for $1200. Given that the cost of tearing down the system for a full reroof is going to run about $3,000, I'm considering have this section of the roof redone now. I know that once panels are added, the roof area under the panels will last for an extended period of time. Any thoughts on whether to reroof or not?

Originally posted by jhuang0 View Post
    The solar folks who have looked at my roof have estimated that the roof as a whole has 10-15 good years left in it. The last installer offered to reroof just the area under the solar panels for $1200. Given that the cost of tearing down the system for a full reroof is going to run about $3,000, I'm considering have this section of the roof redone now. I know that once panels are added, the roof area under the panels will last for an extended period of time. Any thoughts on whether to reroof or not?
    I did. IMO only, cheap insurance if done correctly and professionally - and that may mean done by someone other than the solar vendor. If you get a good reroof under the array, you'll get your money back from the warm and fuzzies you get the first time you're awakened by a rainstorm. I did.

Comment

Have fun in 10 years, splicing the failing edges of the roof, with the healthy portion under the panels.

Do it right, do it all before the panels go in
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Do it now and depending on your tax advisors opinion. include the cost of the re-roof of that section of the roof in the federal rebate claim.

Consider putting ice and water shield under the shingles as it seals the roof for good.and offers secondary protection for the roof mounting penetrations. The shingles then only become something to protect the ice and water shield rather then the primary way of keeping rain out. Its pretty well standard in any commercial roofs in my area be it shingles or standing seam.

Comment

I would have the solar vendor throw it in as an "enhanced mounting" charge and take the tax credit
          Those who do, do it!

Comment

Originally posted by motorcyclemikie View Post
            I would have the solar vendor throw it in as an "enhanced mounting" charge and take the tax credit
            I'm not sure that's less illegal or something vendors or forum administrators would want to condone.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

I'm not sure that's less illegal or something vendors or forum administrators would want to condone.
              Not so sure how you know this is illegal, was actually hoping some of the "more " knowledgeable legal types would weigh in on this. If you know what mounting types qualifies for the tax credit then let it be known or explain your comment please.
              Those who do, do it!

Comment

Getting back to the OP, I also was trying to decide the what age roof would be acceptable. I believe that if in doubt reroof it. Might also be able to use a different (better, faster, cheaper) mounting system.
                Those who do, do it!

Comment

Originally posted by motorcyclemikie View Post

Not so sure how you know this is illegal, was actually hoping some of the "more " knowledgeable legal types would weigh in on this. If you know what mounting types qualifies for the tax credit then let it be known or explain your comment please.
                  Any and all tax credit questions should be addressed by a CPA and not members from a solar forum.

Also advising someone to take the tax credit without the expertise is a good way of getting them in trouble and the poster a long vacation.

Comment

The solar company itself has advised me that they believe the isolated reroofing would qualify for the tax credit. I'm thinking I can take them at their word as they do this for a living....

I'm inclined to do the reroofing on just the solar panel area. Given that it will be brand new with solar panels on it for its life, how long can I expect that part of the roof to last? Also - Mike90250 indicated that getting the rest of the roof done in the future might be difficult? I won't be the one to actually do the work... so can someone comment on how that might affect the quality/price of the work in the future?
                    Last edited by jhuang0; 03-15-2019, 11:47 PM.

Comment

The solar company itself has advised me that they believe the isolated reroofing would qualify for the tax credit. I'm thinking I can take them at their word as they do this for a living....
                      Sure that makes sense. Silver coating the roof area before installing the PV modules might ensure a water tight roof attachment, also with a large PV module area the cost to reroof the rest could be minimal, definitely less than a complete re-roof job.

Roofers charge by the square, a good roofer wouldn't have a problem with that..

Better still re-roof except where the PV modules are, silver seal that area. Silver sealing is the ultimate roof sealer and certainly won't leak as opposed to a complete new roof which might be compromised with the attachment of the racking system

One last thing, if you need to have the old roof torn off that would definitely be a consideration -age of the roof, number of layers of roof, ect.

One final idea, for me I want to have as few thing recently modified on my house as possible when the building inspector comes around.
                      Last edited by motorcyclemikie; 03-16-2019, 02:32 AM.
                      Those who do, do it!

Comment

Silver coating. Really?? Tacky looking and absolutely useless in this application. Sure the neighbors will be thrilled as well unless you live in a trailer park.
                        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post
                          Silver coating. Really?? Tacky looking and absolutely useless in this application. Sure the neighbors will be thrilled as well unless you live in a trailer park.
                          Yeah, I live in the country and it is like a trailer park attitude so I am sure the neighbors won't complain. Not sure why the neighbors would be looking underneath the panels anyway, but there are wierd nosey people everywhere. You are so right about the tacky look but that is the character of the product, that is what makes it seal continuely. I have used silver seal several times in leaky roofed motorhomes which are notorious for leaks because they are stressed quite often.

This coating is widely used professionally , in the Flat roofs or mildly sloped roofs are the key here.

I am in total agreement I wouldn't want to look at that silver glare all the time if I was the neighbor, but if you climb up on my roof for a view sorry about your luck. It also comes in black to please everyone, it just gets a little hot in direct sunlight, hence the silver! The panels will take out the sun so the black wouldn't cause a heating problem

Not shilling for the product, not even sure who make it, it is sold at anyplace where you get roofing materials
                          Last edited by motorcyclemikie; 03-16-2019, 10:16 AM.
                          Those who do, do it!

Comment

I'm inclined to do the reroofing on just the solar panel area. Given that it will be brand new with solar panels on it for its life, how long can I expect that part of the roof to last? Also - Mike90250 indicated that getting the rest of the roof done in the future might be difficult? I won't be the one to actually do the work... so can someone comment on how that might affect the quality/price of the work in the future?
                            If you want to trust a solar equipment company to provide legal tax advice then fine but IMO they are just trying to sell you something and will say anything to get the sale.

Perform the due diligence and talk to a tax consultant that understands the "federal solar rebate".

Comment

Working...
                            X