X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteveL
    • Dec 2018

Best location for inverter

I am building a shed 175' from my home and I'm planning to put a 6800 watt solar array on its roof. My question is will it work ok to have a string inverter located inside the shed, and then run 240 volts AC to the house using #6 AWG copper? What I'm seeing on Voltage Drop calculators is less than 2% loss, which seems satisfactory to me. I would like to have AC power at the shed for lights and so forth.

Thanks for any help. I'm a newbie to solar power, so I have a lot of questions.
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

That agrees with my calcs. You might figure the tradeoff of 4 gauge, probably not worth it
    if you never expand. Bruce Roe

Comment

• Mike90250
      • May 2009

What's the voltage of the string inverter ? Generally, the highest voltage run should be the longest.

5Kw at 500vdc or 5kw at 240vac You figure the amps and see what works out cheaper.
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SteveL
        • Dec 2018

Yes, that is what I have gathered in reading (higher voltage for longer runs), but should the system still work ok running AC that far with a voltage drop of under 2%? I want to put a breaker box at my building after leaving the inverter so I can have AC power there and not have to run wiring back to the building for it.

Thanks....

Comment

Working...