X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Paul Land
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2018

Getting Overheat Fault On New MS-4448-pae Inverter

Saturday got overheat fault on inverter its new and under warranty but cant wait weeks to repair. Probably simple fix any ideas or similar problem. I could use some imput.
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

What have you done in the way of contacting the installer ? Have you done any diagnosis yet ? What does the manual say, if anything ? What is the inverter actually doing besides showing an overheat fault ? What's different than normal/nominal ? Does the thing have a cooling fan or other active cooling means ?

Comment

• Paul Land
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2018

Originally posted by J.P.M.
      What have you done in the way of contacting the installer ? Have you done any diagnosis yet ? What does the manual say, if anything ? What is the inverter actually doing besides showing an overheat fault ? What's different than normal/nominal ? Does the thing have a cooling fan or other active cooling means ?
      I did install and System was operating %100. Just got off phone with wife she said she turned on leaf blower in shed Humm! maybe some debris got up in there it has fans. I will check internal fans in the AM. Manual says FETs got to hot and safety tripped. I have Batts on 48v backup charger

Comment

• Paul Land
        Solar Fanatic
        • Nov 2018

Opened inverter this A.M. found fan turning sluggishly causing fault after pulling fans i found some fine debris putting some drag on them. Fans look like PC Fans El cheapo circuits are top quality. I tried using Costec ball bearing fan for better seal but fans on-board circuit was blocked by Magnums fan circuit. System up and running i will design and build filtered fresh-air intake system Thanks JPM to look at cooling

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Paul Land
          Opened inverter this A.M. found fan turning sluggishly causing fault after pulling fans i found some fine debris putting some drag on them. Fans look like PC Fans El cheapo circuits are top quality. I tried using Costec ball bearing fan for better seal but fans on-board circuit was blocked by Magnums fan circuit. System up and running i will design and build filtered fresh-air intake system Thanks JPM to look at cooling
          You may want to put in some type of debris screen that still allows air flow yet keeps out small particles that can hurt the fan.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

For any brain spoor I may have offered that seems useful, you're welcome.

FWIW, on the design of an intake filter/screen/mesh for the inverter fan system, I'd suggest considering that anything added to the intake flow path will increase restriction on intake air/flow through --->>> increase pressure drop --->>> reduce air flowrate --->>> reduce cooling efficiency --->>> increase inverter operating temp. --->>> more problems either sooner or down the road.

Also, if current cooling is currently by nat. convection, know that adding a fan CAN be somewhat counterproductive to keeping duct/debris off cooling surfaces as the rate of coolant (air) flowthrough is often an order of magnitude or more greater than if nat. convection alone is the driving force of the air --->>> reason: more stuff in more air gets deposited quicker.

I'd suggest keeping the net free flow area the same or greater. The finer the mesh on a screen, the smaller the net free flow area ratio. Also, avoid as many changes of direction as possible in the inlet ducting and keep that ducting as short as possible.

Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.

Comment

• Paul Land
              Solar Fanatic
              • Nov 2018

For any brain spoor I may have offered that seems useful, you're welcome.

FWIW, on the design of an intake filter/screen/mesh for the inverter fan system, I'd suggest considering that anything added to the intake flow path will increase restriction on intake air/flow through --->>> increase pressure drop --->>> reduce air flowrate --->>> reduce cooling efficiency --->>> increase inverter operating temp. --->>> more problems either sooner or down the road.

Also, if current cooling is currently by nat. convection, know that adding a fan CAN be somewhat counterproductive to keeping duct/debris off cooling surfaces as the rate of coolant (air) flowthrough is often an order of magnitude or more greater than if nat. convection alone is the driving force of the air --->>> reason: more stuff in more air gets deposited quicker.

I'd suggest keeping the net free flow area the same or greater. The finer the mesh on a screen, the smaller the net free flow area ratio. Also, avoid as many changes of direction as possible in the inlet ducting and keep that ducting as short as possible.

Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.
              I agree I just need wife to keep leaf blower out of shed while its running. If it happens again I can do a CFM calc and add push/pull fans to match boards CFM with merv8 filter at intake. Thanks again

Comment

• Paul Land
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2018

Originally posted by SunEagle

You may want to put in some type of debris screen that still allows air flow yet keeps out small particles that can hurt the fan.
                Working on that thanks, MS Board has its own fan circuit for there simple unsealed fans it conflicts with my quality sealed fans so they just hum. I coupled a micro-anemometer for CFM reading over fans if it drops I can do preventive maint. Also working on wife staying out of my utility Rm part of shed with leaf blower.
                Last edited by Paul Land; 01-15-2019, 03:01 PM.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Working on that thanks, also working on wife staying out of my half of shed with leaf blower
                  I've had little/no experience or success in such matters. Good luck.

Comment

• Paul Land
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Nov 2018

Follow-up to debris inverter clean out Ambiant Temp 39f FETS @ 66f VERY HAPPY!

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

Follow-up to debris inverter clean out Ambiant Temp 39f FETS @ 66f VERY HAPPY!
                      Sounds about right depending on cooling scheme. I'd observe/see what happens to the delta T. ( amb. to heat sink) holds about the same for a few days while operating under sunny conditions.

Comment

• Paul Land
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Nov 2018

Sounds about right depending on cooling scheme. I'd observe/see what happens to the delta T. ( amb. to heat sink) holds about the same for a few days while operating under sunny conditions.
                        Like i said i'm Happy also put lock on shed 1 key, wife will be back home @3 form Fl. happiness is fleeting. I believe in murphy"s Law. Added my own thermistor circuit to sink will trip old re-purposed auto-transf single throw switch now before FETs over heats i will have mini brown-out instead.
                        Last edited by Paul Land; 01-17-2019, 03:39 PM.

Comment

Working...