Dispute and uncertainty over installed system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dispute and uncertainty over installed system

Destination thread placeholder for moving a post....
    Last edited by inetdog; 01-14-2019, 08:37 PM.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

This should be in a new thread. Do you have some specifics on the system. Some of what is stated is total BS, the power company does not have anything to do with how much you deplete the battery, that would be the configuration on the inverte.

guessing you do NOT have net metering and guessing that the system was not configured correctly for that situation either or is just not working correctly.

do you have any montioring on the system?
    also please post detailsonthe system, in particular the inverter model and battery type.

Mod Note: POST from HawaiiOhana moved to https://www.solarpaneltalk.com/forum...stalled-system
    Last edited by inetdog; 01-14-2019, 08:34 PM.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Just to add to ButchDeal comment, could you give us your consumption in kWhrs so we can understand what has changed or not changed?
      Last edited by Ampster; 01-15-2019, 12:42 AM.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

My first impression is depending on how the system was designed and installed concerning the battery and grid connection may be a clue as to why it is not performing as expected.

My second impression is the Contractor may have sold your parents a load of equipment that will never perform as he stated

As others have asked, it would help if you can provide more detail on what the system equipment is and how it is connected may help us find a reason.

Another couple of questions. Did your parents ever get a contract with your POCO that allows them to sell excess power to the grid and what are the details? Or is the system set up for just storing excess power generated by the pv array into the battery because you are not allowed to export power?

Comment

Originally posted by HawaiiOhana
          SunEagle, you seem incredibly knowledgeable about solar battery systems. I was hoping to seek your expertise for a matter that has become a huge problem in our family. I apologize if this is not the proper place to begin an offshoot question. My parents just spent $22k to have a solar/battery hybrid system installed on our home. The electrician (a family-friend unfortunately) estimated 28 panels would handle our load. The project was to be finished in 2-months time. Instead, it has taken over a year, several issues, much red tape from the county over how it's been installed, and when it was finally time to flick the switch -- we were told the parts he installed were broken, sent back and we waited some more - we have been called the anomaly case. We finally managed to get everyone working in September 2018. Our bill went from $300/average before solar to $325 after. We were told to be patient and that it would all even out soon... but the next month was $400, and now it's still steadily hovering in the $300's still. We have yet to see any savings, and we are being told it's due to our "usage" even though nothing has changed. We spent a month shutting off our water heater which took the usage down a bit, and saved about $50 - $100, but we could have done that before solar. Then we were told it's our Energy Company's fault because they aren't letting the batteries deplete before charging us to refill them. Energy company denies this and it becomes a he-said/she-said between our friend and the electric company. The only way to tell who is being honest is to go completely off the grid, so we asked him to install a generator to the solar instead of backing up to our electric grid. That was 3-months ago, and he is still waiting for the part. In the meantime he is telling us the bill is high because it's been cloudy, but we live in Hawaii -- the weather is pretty much the same all the time. My parents are too kind to sever the friendship, and I am feeling more frustrated because I feel they are being taken advantage of. I have asked them for the contract showing that he estimated the new bill to be in the $80 range, or that he suggested a 28 panel system to maintain our lifestyle but they don't believe any of that is stated in the contract. I feel too many mistakes have been made trusting him as a friend since the inception of this project and don't know the proper action to take, of if we have a leg to stand on to take any action. They want to keep paying for additions like the generator, or a new solar water heater, until it works. We had a discussion last night and they just feel they don't know enough to argue the issue. Is there anything you can advise since I feel all of this is out of our hands? Thank you for your consideration on the matter, and sorry again if my question is out of line.
          I wonder if OP is noticing the posts on this new thread....
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

He is in a far off time zone.. It's only 5 am there now.
            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

I also wonder if he may need some help in mediating a difficult situation with a family friend. From the little information I saw, the system cost of $22k is not outrageous for a system that includes batteries. I am assuming the 28 panels are at least 250 Watts. That of course assumes the system works to provide an economic benefit.
              Last edited by Ampster; 01-15-2019, 01:16 PM.
              9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...
              X