Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Volts, Amps and Watts ........what's the deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Zardiw View Post
    I'm an electrical engineer buddy.......lol
    Honestly, given what I've seen of your posts on this forum, that's a pretty scary thought. I'd not stand on or near anything you've designed.

Also, If you think others are assholes that's your call, but I'd not use that descriptor. Project all you want, but your inference and belligerence is telling.

Comment

Originally posted by PNW_Steve View Post

Length of the conductor also plays a role in sizing.
      True. Good point when you need to consider the voltage drop. Which is even a bigger risk on lower voltage/higher amp circuits.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

True. Good point when you need to consider the voltage drop. Which is even a bigger risk on lower voltage/higher amp circuits.
        I wish I could communicate that on my other favorite board. I run into way too many folks that want to parallel a bunch of 12v batteries and run a 5kw inverter.. . . ... Stuck in a 12v box.....

Comment

Originally posted by PNW_Steve View Post
          I wish I could communicate that on my other favorite board. I run into way too many folks that want to parallel a bunch of 12v batteries and run a 5kw inverter.. . . ... Stuck in a 12v box.....
          Which is no problem - provided you are willing to spend the $$$ for wiring and protection. Unfortunately, most people are not.

Comment

Originally posted by jflorey2 View Post
            Which is no problem - provided you are willing to spend the $$$ for wiring and protection. Unfortunately, most people are not.
            And more charge controllers, and and efficiency losses, and more $$$$.... but the impressi9n is that it is cheaper to stay in the 12v box....
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post
              And more charge controllers, and and efficiency losses, and more $$$$.... but the impressi9n is that it is cheaper to stay in the 12v box....
              Definitely. The big misconception is that "I will stay at 12V because everything is cheaper!"

I once talked to someone who was doing something along those lines (wanting to run an air conditioner on a 12V system.) He explained that he was going to do so by running very heavy gauge wiring - 10 gauge! - from his two T105 AGMs to his 1800 watt inverter. That was overkill, he said, for big residential air conditioners, so it would have no problem running his A/C. He later decided his inverter was defective since his plan didn't work.

Comment

.... very heavy gauge wiring - 10 gauge!

Now thats funny
                OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

Now thats funny
                  Maybe he meant 1/0 gauge.

Comment

Thinking that would be generous. Clearly he has seen 240V A/Cs wired with #10 or even #12.
                    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

Definitely. The big misconception is that "I will stay at 12V because everything is cheaper!"

I once talked to someone who was doing something along those lines (wanting to run an air conditioner on a 12V system.) He explained that he was going to do so by running very heavy gauge wiring - 10 gauge! - from his two T105 AGMs to his 1800 watt inverter. That was overkill, he said, for big residential air conditioners, so it would have no problem running his A/C. He later decided his inverter was defective since his plan didn't work.
                      Yeah....... I tried to give a small bit of guidance to the guy that wants to connect three 12v marine deep cycle batteries from Walmart to his $500 - 5kw inverter.
                      I am watching for his obit....

Comment

Working...
                      X