Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to take advantage of a $0.61 per installed watt rebate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to take advantage of a $0.61 per installed watt rebate?

In Saskatchewan Canada, SaskPower just introduced a rebate for residential solar projects of $0.61/watt.

I am planning on having a company install a 7.2kW system with a quality system

I am wondering if there would be any advantages to going bigger to take advantage of the SaskPower rebate program which is $0.61 per watt? I am wondering if in addition to the 7.2 kW system (so keep all that as is) would it be beneficial to install another say another 1 kW with panels/inverters that are very cheap, even if they have really low quality. If they worked for only 5 years that would be fine.

So from SaskPower's perspective my system would be 8.2 kW and in 5 years when panels are really cheap I can switch out the really poor cheap panels for probably 1 quality 1 kW panel and not have to go back through the trouble of applying to interconnect as the rated capacity of my system would be the same.

Maybe this doesn't make sense at all, but just thought I would ask if there was a way to take full advantage of the per watt rebate in addition to what I was already planning?

Start by determining your annual load and your goals as to how much of that load you want to replace with PV in the most long term cost effective way.

After that, know that things will be different in the future than you planned for (Murphy's law). No way around it.

How much is PV in Sask.?

Turnkey or self install ?

5 yrs. is a long time. For all you/anyone knows, your future needs could be less. That's what conservation and energy improvements are at least partially about.

If you're worried about expansion, design with flexibility now and make future expansion easier if it proves to be needed.

Just remember that you may have compatibility issues when current equipment might not necessarily play well with equipment avail. X years down the road.

Or, throw money at the situation and oversize now, but know that doing so will decrease the system's cost effectiveness - perhaps to the point that the long term cost of the electricity it provides is more expensive than the long term cost of the power from SaskPower. Happens all the time around here.

Comment

Saskatchewan Solar Energy Programs

As of November 30, 2018 the older Net Metering program and rebate came to an end. They have been replaced with a new program and rebate that improves things for both new solar customers, as well as existing ones. This link will take you to SaskPower. The three significant improvements to the Net Metering program and rebate are:

Last edited by SunEagle; 12-26-2018, 10:29 AM. Reason: added link to Saskpower

Comment

Working...
      X