X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blakeaf96
    • Feb 2015

Would (2) 100-Watt Solar Panels and 2-3 car batteries power these needs of mine?

Basically, I have a 25x30 barn. For now, I just want to do a simple little system in the barn. I only want to have a light, 1 outlet, radio and maybe a fan going.. max 3 hours per day. Would this be sufficient? How much more could I run during those 3 hours (roughly) if

- No huge air compressors
    - No big equipment that takes lots of amps, etc..

I use my barn as a getaway lol -- And for now, until I do a FULL upgrade to full lighting inside, etc, I just want a small, simple system so I don't have to have a drop-cord ran to my building from my house just to have a fan going, radio on and a light turned on for a few hours a day...

Would something like this system run this just fine? I would assume so, since it's not much that would be running and not running for a long period time on top of that. What else could I run during those 3 hours if I use this (2) 200-watt system? Thanks for the insight. Just anxious to get my feet wet with a little project.
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Seriously, I'd get a portable radio and a camping light, and for ventilation I'd screen a couple of windows or opens that run parallel to the prevailing wings to handle the fragrances of nature and/or most of the heat buildup.

Before you get your feet wet building stuff that'll likely be inappropriate for any future intended duty/service, keep the horse before the cart and read/study up on how PV works and how systems and their components work together before you buy or build anything. You'll learn more, faster and cheaper, make fewer and less costly mistakes and wind up with equipment that's more fit for service.
    Last edited by J.P.M.; 09-08-2018, 07:08 PM. Reason: Reversed the position of the horse and the cart. Brian flatulance.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by blakeaf96
      Basically, I have a 25x30 barn. For now, I just want to do a simple little system in the barn. I only want to have a light, 1 outlet, radio and maybe a fan going.. max 3 hours per day. Would this be sufficient? How much more could I run during those 3 hours (roughly) if

- No huge air compressors
      - No big equipment that takes lots of amps, etc..

I use my barn as a getaway lol -- And for now, until I do a FULL upgrade to full lighting inside, etc, I just want a small, simple system so I don't have to have a drop-cord ran to my building from my house just to have a fan going, radio on and a light turned on for a few hours a day...

Would something like this system run this just fine? I would assume so, since it's not much that would be running and not running for a long period time on top of that. What else could I run during those 3 hours if I use this (2) 200-watt system? Thanks for the insight. Just anxious to get my feet wet with a little project.
      A car battery, if new, will last maybe a couple of months at best. Hooking up 2 to 3 of them in parallel will kill them off quicker since they won't be properly charged with only 200watts of panel. They are just not designed for daily deep cycling.

With 200 watts of panels you will need a 15 amp PWM charger which can charge a 100Ah battery. You will also need a 100 watt inverter. Unfortunately that 12v battery will get you maybe 300watt hours a day which can easily be eaten up by a fan, light and radio.

As JPM stated you should be putting your money into a battery operated fan, radio and camp light. It will cost you less then the battery, charger and inverter. Even a long extension cord will be less money then a solar/battery system.

Comment

• littleharbor
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2016

O2 cool fan.jpg These O2 Cool fans work great on D cell batteries two speed, and even have a 12 volt input for external power. They are pretty cheap at Walmart in the camping section. I own 3 of them. They help keep the wife and I cool when camping and in our travel trailer.
        Attached Files
        2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• PNPmacnab
          Solar Fanatic
          • Nov 2016

You didn't say if this is day or night. In the day you wouldn't necessarily need a battery at all.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by PNPmacnab
            You didn't say if this is day or night. In the day you wouldn't necessarily need a battery at all.
            True but IMO it is safer to believe the loads will be used at night or when the sun isn't shining (which could be during a day time storm).

Comment

Working...