X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maxbraketorque
    • Jul 2018

APsystems YC600s underproducing on second MPPT

On the south facing portion of my roof, I just had a 32-panel (60 cell, 300 W) installation done that uses APsystems YC600 microinverters. I am having a consistent issue with MPPT #2 for each microinverter underperforming compared to MPPT #1. It occurs only when output levels on each panel exceed ~150 W. MPPT #1 will continue to rise (reaching as much as 235 W) while MPPT #2 will float around varying from 100-180 W. Its happening for all 16 of my microinverters, so it doesn't appear to be an isolated defective unit. Since its affecting all 16 of my microinverters, I was expecting APsystems to know exactly what is happening, but instead, they seem to have not seen this before and are investigating. At this point, I'm wondering if any YC600 users (or other APsystems dual module microinverter users) have seen this issue, and whether it has been resolved.
  • KellyW
    • Apr 2019

Was this issue ever solved? I'm experiencing the same issue after 8 month operation. AP SYSTEMS support keeps focussing on install and shade. How was it fixed?

Comment

• maxbraketorque
      • Jul 2018

Originally posted by KellyW
      Was this issue ever solved? I'm experiencing the same issue after 8 month operation. AP SYSTEMS support keeps focussing on install and shade. How was it fixed?
      Yes, the issue has been resolved. It turns out that it was some sort of firmware issue with the microinverters. They never did try to explain what was changed, but after some indirect discussions with APSystems along with them monitoring my panels, they flashed some or all of the microinverters with a firmware update, and everything has been great since then. I am surprised that your experience has been the same as mine thus far. I can't believe that I'm the only person besides you that has experienced this issue, and that they have somehow forgotten my issue and that whatever firmware change they made wasn't incorporated into subsequently manufactured microinverters.

Like your experience, they were insistent that it was a shade or install issue. I suppose I shouldn't use bad words on a forum to describe my experience with the North America service team, so I'll just say that they were difficult. If their behavior to you continues to be no different than my experience, you'll likely have to prove to them that its not a shade issue by providing photos. And you're installer will likewise have to prove its not an install issue. And of course you'll have to interact with APSystems through your installer, so hopefully your installer is a customer service oriented outfit. I suggest that you ask your installer to tell APSystems that they have dealt with this issue before with an install done in Richland, WA, and the issue was resolved by some sort of firmware update.

In order to perform the firmware update, my ECU-R had to be ethernet cabled to my router. For some reason, it wasn't possible to do the firmware update over a wifi connection between the ECU-R and my router. I have one of the first ECU-Rs, and there have already been several hardware revisions of the ECU-R, so for yours, it might not be necessary to have the ECU-R etherneted to your router. If it does have to be ethernet cabled, keep in mind that the ECU-R also has to be in communication range with the microinverters at the same time, so depending on where your router is located, it might be necessary to buy a long ethernet cable.

I hope that helps and let me know how your situation turns out.

Comment

• KellyW
        • Apr 2019

Thanks for the extremely detailed explanation and resolution. This has been extremely frustrating to solve as APSYSTEMS support hasn't isolated the issue. I will forward your instructions to my Singapore contact and ask
        more about firmware updates by Ethernet vs wifi. I'll update what they come back with (hopefully soon)

Comment

• KellyW
          • Apr 2019

Hello maxbraketorque. Are you using the APS YC600i or YC600y's. The original release of the YC600i was changed to a newer YC600y. I'm just trying to see if the ongoing issue i'm having is isolated to YC600i's

Comment

• maxbraketorque
            • Jul 2018

Hello maxbraketorque. Are you using the APS YC600i or YC600y's. The original release of the YC600i was changed to a newer YC600y. I'm just trying to see if the ongoing issue i'm having is isolated to YC600i's
            The literature I have from Spring 2018 only refers to the inverters as YC600. No "i" or "y". Even the current literature I just downloaded from the APSystems website doesn't use an "i" or "y". The info provided by my installer also doesn't indicate a "i" or "y". I might be able to tell if I were at the house and logged in using the ECUApp, but I won't be back home for a few weeks.

Comment

• KellyW
              • Apr 2019

Thanks! I am still having issues where panel output is capped at approx 290w. I have lg neon 320w panels. My panels are randomly dropping to zero during the day. Even after each and firmware updates. The distributor says APS dropped the YC600i quickly and now supplying YC600y version. But will not say the difference. Did all your issues vanish after the firmware upgrade?

Comment

• maxbraketorque
                • Jul 2018

Thanks! I am still having issues where panel output is capped at approx 290w. I have lg neon 320w panels. My panels are randomly dropping to zero during the day. Even after each and firmware updates. The distributor says APS dropped the YC600i quickly and now supplying YC600y version. But will not say the difference. Did all your issues vanish after the firmware upgrade?
                Yes, they are mostly performing well. I do occasionally see some panels drop off for a few moments. It seems to happen in waves over a few days, so I'm wondering if the dropouts are firmware updates being applied. One difference though is that I have 300 W panels, and the highest power output I've ever seen is about 280 W. Mostly the peak is around 260 W.

Comment

Working...