Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is my father in law getting scammed again?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is my father in law getting scammed again?

Hello
    I 'm joe from jersey.I have a question for the forum:
    I recently found out that my father in laws solar system is only making 20% of what it should be making.
    He received a call from a "Solar protection agency"I will not use any real names of the company or protection agency.
    Keep in mind that he is 78 years old and purchased the system 4 years ago.He gave me the agency's # and rep name.
    This agency had my father in law send them a copy of the contract he signed.The rep looked it over and advised him to go to arbitration,but he should bring with him a "Solar Audit"?
    He stated that they do a check on all the paperwork and compare how much consumption is listed ..things like that.
    I looked over his paperwork and it does state that he would receive 90% coverage .
    In the last 12 months his electric bills are around $200 a month and the system is making $40 per month.He never even knew about the SREC"s he is supposed to be collecting.
    Here is my question:Since no lawyer wants to take on the case.
    This company wants to sell him a :Solar audit to take with his to arbitration hearing.They want to charge him $499 ,but they give you a money back guarantee if he loses the case.

I am really planning on paying the $499 myself(Or the truth is my wife wants in to do it)
    I checked the company out as best as i could and they connected to a law firm.I called the law firm and they told me that they are associated with them and if and when he wins the case.They will put him into a class action law suit.It is a big beach house and he needs 18-20 k a year

Should i buy this companies audit and maybe they will put him in a class action suit.He paid close to $55,000 for this system.Installer is out of business and the company just ignores his calls .This has been going on for years.

What would you do? Sorry this is so long
    Thank yo in front for any opinons

Seems like the refundable $499 (why not just call it $500 ?) would be made back if the company steps up a repairs the system. Since you and he don't know what the heck anything is, you need something to hold up for scrutiny.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Thank you for your feed back

Any other opinions?

Comment

I think you should call a reputable solar installer/company in your area to take a look at the system. They would probably do that for free if they thought they could make money correcting problems. Then when you get a quote from them......call three or four more area vendor for more competitive quotes. A little time on your end will reap rewards.

Comment

Yeah, I would skip the lawyers. You're unlikely to get blood from a stone. Many of us here in NJ have had good experiences with Green Power Energy. They service other vendors systems -- in fact this is a large part of their business since so many installers seem to come and go.

http://greenpowerenergy.com/

I'd suggest you have them out to take a look and make a recommendation.

Does you father have the original contract he signed with his installer? What did he buy? Which inverter, how many and what size panels, what is his zip code, orientation and pitch of roof? How many kWH is he consuming annually? How much is the system making annually?

Production can vary widely depending on factors like orientation, pitch, and local weather -- in addition to system size. Given the specifics of the system and the location, there are a variety of software tools which can be used to model the expected output from the system to see if it is really under performing.

Which electric company does your dad have -- JCPL or PSEG? Get a copy of his bill. Check to make sure he is getting Net Metering. SREC's are a bit more complicated. But in a nutshell, you earn one (assuming you've done all of the necessary paperwork and GATS registration) per MWh. I earn about 14 per year with my 12.2kW DC system.

Price varies widely on the open market. Currently ~$220 per MWh.
          http://www.flettexchange.com/markets...ey/market-data

-Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by DanS26 View Post
            I think you should call a reputable solar installer/company in your area to take a look at the system. They would probably do that for free if they thought they could make money correcting problems. Then when you get a quote from them......call three or four more area vendor for more competitive quotes. A little time on your end will reap rewards.
            So you would just forget about the lost money?
            The srec's are around $210 each.This company should just get away with not living up to there warranty which is for 20 years.
            Big company still in business..shame

Comment

Originally posted by joe in jersey View Post

So you would just forget about the lost money?
              The srec's are around $210 each.This company should just get away with not living up to there warranty which is for 20 years.
              Big company still in business..shame
              So, who's the big company ? Inquiring minds want to know.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

So, who's the big company ? Inquiring minds want to know.
                The anticipation is building. Somehow, I have a feeling we wont be surprised if and when we find out.
                2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

"Does you father have the original contract he signed with his installer? What did he buy? Which inverter, how many and what size panels, what is his zip code, orientation and pitch of roof? How many kWH is he consuming annually? How much is the system making annually?"

Yes i have it..14,750 KW system.Contract states 17,877 in production. Panels are Hyundai's does not list which ones,Inverted is only listed as a tier 1 inverter that comes with a 10 year warranty. Zip code is 07727.System is making around 4,000 a year .
                  Installer is out of business,but the contract is with Sunnxxx.They stopped taking his calls and my calls. Cerified letters returned.Just a nightmare

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post

the anticipation is building. Somehow, i have a feeling we wont be surprised if and when we find out.
                    sunnova

Comment

Your FIL has a wasting asset right now....get it fixed...it may be something simple like loose connections, animal damage, shading, etc.

Then get a lawyer to decipher the contract and find out who is responsible for lost SREC's, lost production, poor maintenance, etc.

Comment

Well, for any production you've accumulated on your SREC meter, the MWh's you produced shouldn't be lost. You should be able to claim them in GATS, provided no one else has. You might have to contact them to find out how to submit SREC's for previous years. SREC's are good for four or five years, not sure about unclaimed production.

Assuming your roof is close to South facing and pitched at least 25 degrees, and you have no shade, your production should be at least 14-16 MWh per year on a 14.7kW very generally speaking. I have a 12.2kW and am making approximately 13 MWh -- I live in Monroe Township (08831) so not too far. Sounds like you probably have a conventional string inverter with a failed string or two if your production is really that low..

Take a look at the inverter and find out the brand. If SolarEdge (kind of doubt it) the LCD and web portal are very helpful. If Enphase, try to get access to the Envoy web page. If it's a regular string inverter, then troubleshooting will be more difficult. Regardless, I'd call GreenPower, have them come out and take a look.

If your FIL's house is on the Ocean, you might also have a coating of salt spray and some advanced corrosion. Also could be animals, poor installation, bad design, etc.

I sincerely doubt you'll have any luck suing for your lost production based on the annual production guarantee. I assume your FIL paid in cash or got a loan -- so you've probably already paid them. But, if you have a lawyer friend, or someone who will do it for low cost / free. go for it. Hopefully he filed for the 30% federal tax rebate when he had it installed?

Also call you FIL's PoCo (JCPL?) and find out when his system anniversary date is. You get to change this once and only once for the life of the system. You want to set it to the cross-over month (usually March) when production starts to exceed consumption for the year. But don't do this until you have the system fixed. Get copy (online) of his last 12 electric statements so you can at least see how much is being consumed and produced per month.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS26 View Post
                          Your FIL has a wasting asset right now....get it fixed...it may be something simple like loose connections, animal damage, shading, etc.

Then get a lawyer to decipher the contract and find out who is responsible for lost SREC's, lost production, poor maintenance, etc.
                          I agree 100%

Would hate to spend more money when he has a 20 year warranty from Sunnova.

But i am going to call greenpower and then i do what is needed to be done.But i decided to give that auditor his $500 and hopefully the arbitration guy will do the right thing.Maybe that auditor will put him in a class action suit.He can not be the only one that got screwed
                          Still can't understand why sunnova is just not doing the right thing.

Thanks guys i will keep you updated..Everything works out fine.I'll be looking for solar on the house i am moving into come sept...

Comment

Originally posted by joe in jersey View Post

sunnova
                            Just clicked on our host's Solar reviews site and read some reviews. Have you? Sounds familiar.
                            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Originally posted by littleharbor View Post

Just clicked on our host's Solar reviews site and read some reviews. Have you? Sounds familiar.
                              I just did ...WOW

Comment

Working...
                              X