X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meter question

I have a dual lug 320amp meter feeding the main house panel out the left side (thru a manual gen transfer sw) and a 125amp panel for the outbuilding the meter is attached to out the right side of the meter
    I have a 40 amp backfeed from solar on the house main 200amp panel already.

I want to add a 30 amp PV feed into the 125amp panel feeding from the same meter (after changing the main breaker to 100amp).

I just want to be sure that any excess pv power generated into the 125 amp panel will go to cover loads used in the house via the main panel prior to going out to the grid

does the meter work like that ??

pics attached

Attached Files

Check with your POCO. That said, I'd suspect this meters treats both loads as if it were a single feed (i.e. the feeds to both the 200A and 100A panels are directly tied together.) If they are directly tied together then the added solar to the other panel would feed your house before feeding the grid.

What the codes are to allow this, I have no idea, I'm not an electrician, I'd suggest contacting your POCO and explain what you are considering and see what they have to say before doing anything else.

Comment

Originally posted by TAZ427 View Post
      Check with your POCO. That said, I'd suspect this meters treats both loads as if it were a single feed (i.e. the feeds to both the 200A and 100A panels are directly tied together.) If they are directly tied together then the added solar to the other panel would feed your house before feeding the grid.

What the codes are to allow this, I have no idea, I'm not an electrician, I'd suggest contacting your POCO and explain what you are considering and see what they have to say before doing anything else.
      both sides should be on the same meter (there is only one meter so kind of has to be). as for the codes, you should contact the AHJ not PoCo. Some locations specify a single disconnect for all generation, which this method would not meet.
      Also usually there are labeling requirements

And you generally do not want grid tie systems to be installed on the load side of a transfer switch to protect the generator should the grid tie inverter decide to sync...
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

both sides should be on the same meter (there is only one meter so kind of has to be). as for the codes, you should contact the AHJ not PoCo. Some locations specify a single disconnect for all generation, which this method would not meet.
        Also usually there are labeling requirements

And you generally do not want grid tie systems to be installed on the load side of a transfer switch to protect the generator should the grid tie inverter decide to sync...
        thanks for bring this up. The diesel gen is currently out of commission, but if I ever get it fixed.... would it suffice to just turn off DC and AC disconnects on the PV system before starting the gen or need I take a more hardware type solution ?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTom View Post

thanks for bring this up. The diesel gen is currently out of commission, but if I ever get it fixed.... would it suffice to just turn off DC and AC disconnects on the PV system before starting the gen or need I take a more hardware type solution ?
          Yes though if you are adding solar, you could take the opertunity to fix it right, with the new solar and old solar on a single line side tap.
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...
          X