Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

SDG&E sharpening the guillotine for residential solar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TAZ427 View Post

Last I checked, my congressman and state representative were Republicans. Not everywhere in CA are Democrats. Not that I side specifically with either side, as they both have a number issues that I disagree with, especially those who are to the extreme side of either party.
    You are in San Diego if I recall correctly , a minority community. LA north to the Bay area and east tzo Sacramento rule and going further left by the day. You are going to miss TX. Not all is lost, you got good Mexican food there.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
      You are in San Diego if I recall correctly , a minority community. LA north to the Bay area and east tzo Sacramento rule and going further left by the day. You are going to miss TX. Not all is lost, you got good Mexican food there.
      Nope, I'm in El Dorado Hills, CA, which is about 25mi East of Sacramento (the beginning of the foot hills of the Sierra's - Sacrament is 30' above sea level in the middle of the valley and I'm at about 1,800'.) And sorry to say it, but the 'Mexican' food here (at least in the area I'm in) sucks...

Comment

Nope, I'm in El Dorado Hills, CA, which is about 25mi East of Sacramento (the beginning of the foot hills of the Sierra's - Sacrament is 30' above sea level in the middle of the valley and I'm at about 1,800'.) And sorry to say it, but the 'Mexican' food here (at least in the area I'm in) sucks...
        FWIW, after living in NM for several years, I'll second that. The land of fruits & nuts (CA) is fine to me, but I can't get the same quality of Mexican food without some travel. Even Tijuana food tastes Americanized to me.

Comment

sorry to say it, but the 'Mexican' food here (at least in the area I'm in) sucks...
          Perhaps or maybe your taste buds are geared to Tex-Mex which is not really Mexican food per se. I miss it down here in Panama, but fortunately I know how to make great Fajita's, Cheese Enchiladas, King Ranch Chicken, Tortilla Soup, and Chile Con Carne. I get to travel a lot and the Mexican food you find in CA, AZ, NM, CO, NV, UT, and TX are all different. As for BBQ you are SOL in CA and will miss TX chew joints like Corkscrew, Gatlin's, and Burn's.

To JPM's comment I am a huge fan of New Mexico cuisine and will eat a shoe or cardboard if smothered in Green Chile Sauce. Cannot get enough of that stuff and Pozzole. Next time you are in Santa Fe find a diner called The Pantry on Cerrillos. It is not a Mexican restaurant per se, but has the best NM staples in town and affordable. All the usual diner stuff for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Not huge selection of Mexican food, but some of the best in town including Green Chili. It is the first and last restaurant we go to when we go there for early fall vacation. We never miss it.
          Last edited by Sunking; 05-20-2018, 07:34 PM.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

Perhaps or maybe your taste buds are geared to Tex-Mex which is not really Mexican food per se. I miss it down here in Panama, but fortunately I know how to make great Fajita's, Cheese Enchiladas, King Ranch Chicken, Tortilla Soup, and Chile Con Carne. I get to travel a lot and the Mexican food you find in CA, AZ, NM, CO, NV, UT, and TX are all different. As for BBQ you are SOL in CA and will miss TX chew joints like Corkscrew, Gatlin's, and Burn's.

To JPM's comment I am a huge fan of New Mexico cuisine and will eat a shoe or cardboard if smothered in Green Chile Sauce. Cannot get enough of that stuff and Pozzole. Next time you are in Santa Fe find a diner called The Pantry on Cerrillos. It is not a Mexican restaurant per se, but has the best NM staples in town and affordable. All the usual diner stuff for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Not huge selection of Mexican food, but some of the best in town including Green Chili. It is the first and last restaurant we go to when we go there for early fall vacation. We never miss it.
            When I lived in NM, I was a regular for breakfast @ The Pantry most every time when in Santa Fe. Kinda' small I thought, but that's anything but a knock. Real good chow, and agree that's some of the best green chile sauce goin' in NM, and that's sayin' somethin'. . My bride loves having breakfast for dinner there. I'd usually walk there for breakfast as she's a late riser.

Comment

Well, I do like Tex-Mex, but I definitely know the difference. The variety of authentic food is one of the things I truly miss about Houston, everything from everywhere on the planet, and I've been to over 50 countries on 5 continents. There are a lot of authentic Baja Mexican style restaurants in particular.

In this area, most people seem to think that a place that sells nothing but Taco's, Burrito's and Taco Salads is a Mexican restaurant. I've found a couple places that pass for an Ok Tex-Mex style, but that's about it.

It's been almost 20yrs since I've been to Sante Fe (was skiing in Taos, Red River and Angle Fire), I do remember eating at a fairly decent Tex-Mex style restaurant, but can't recall the name, while on the way back to Albuquerque.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

When I lived in NM, I was a regular for breakfast @ The Pantry most every time when in Santa Fe. Kinda' small I thought, but that's anything but a knock..
                Yeah it is small Diner , white cinder block contraction that does not grab your attention like most joints on Cerrillos. Nothing bright and colorful that would make you think Mexican or upscale. When you walk in still does not say Mexican food. Like you say go on for breakfast for the staple like pancakes, eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy. Really good ole French Toast. Open the breakfast menu and you find Huevos Rancheros and Green Chilaquiles.. Dang made myself hungry. All i snot lost I will be there July 1 and 2 for a night or two. Making a detour to Santa Fe and then go up to COS to play a golf tournament at the USAF Academy. The have two beautiful courses there called Gold and Silver. Already getting prepared and an RV lined up. Sometimes I wished I retired in Santa Fe, and get reminded why I did not come winter. High desert gets fricking cold as brass balls. I really like that country between Santa Fe up to COS. Have quite a collections of rocks and several grams of cold I panned for. One more trip and should have enough gold to make a nice ring. Thought about cheating and turn a Gold Buffalo coin into a ring. I like rock hounding, panning for gold, and hunting arrowheads. Found enough gem stones for my wife to make a nice necklace. Perhaps sometime soom we can meet up there in Santa Fe, wife has a very nice Vacation Rental Hone property with real parking and nice privacy coyote fenced yard. 3 large bedrooms and the Master is large enough you do not have to come out or get dressed,

So JPM have you tried Burts Green Chili Burgers or Blakes Lot-A-Burger?
                Last edited by Sunking; 05-20-2018, 11:58 PM.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

Yeah it is small Diner , white cinder block contraction that does not grab your attention like most joints on Cerrillos. Nothing bright and colorful that would make you think Mexican or upscale. When you walk in still does not say Mexican food. Like you say go on for breakfast for the staple like pancakes, eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy. Really good ole French Toast. Open the breakfast menu and you find Huevos Rancheros and Green Chilaquiles.. Dang made myself hungry. All i snot lost I will be there July 1 and 2 for a night or two. Making a detour to Santa Fe and then go up to COS to play a golf tournament at the USAF Academy. The have two beautiful courses there called Gold and Silver. Already getting prepared and an RV lined up. Sometimes I wished I retired in Santa Fe, and get reminded why I did not come winter. High desert gets fricking cold as brass balls. I really like that country between Santa Fe up to COS. Have quite a collections of rocks and several grams of cold I panned for. One more trip and should have enough gold to make a nice ring. Thought about cheating and turn a Gold Buffalo coin into a ring. I like rock hounding, panning for gold, and hunting arrowheads. Found enough gem stones for my wife to make a nice necklace. Perhaps sometime soom we can meet up there in Santa Fe, wife has a very nice Vacation Rental Hone property with real parking and nice privacy coyote fenced yard. 3 large bedrooms and the Master is large enough you do not have to come out or get dressed,

So JPM have you tried Burts Green Chili Burgers or Blakes Lot-A-Burger?
                  Been to a few Blake's. They're all over the SW. Not to Burt's.

Not much of a meat eater anymore, but I do favor American bison. There's a place called Del Charro on Alameda near old town Santa Fe that's kind of a tourist trap but has great bison burgers and sweet potato fries. The green/red chile posole's pretty good as well.

As long as we're travelogin' it : Beginning Weds., 05/23, if anyone wonders if I AMF'd and cleared post in the nite, I'll be mostly offline for about 3+ weeks travelling around the midwest. Back on or about 06/11 +/- some.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Bruce: I owe ya'. I saw your postings about vampire loads a few years ago and really started poking around. I've got the continuous load down to ~ 50 W, spread between GFI's, nite lights, a few glowing light switches, microwave/kitchen lites/clocks/etc. and 2 cable boxes of ~ 12 W ea. which are on power strips and off most of the time - and the garage door opener w/motion photo safety switch, I think I'm down to ~ 50 W without the cable boxes.
                    Wow that's really good! I was super excited when I got my always on down from around 1300 W to just under 700 W. Not much more I can do at this point without sacraficing some convenience and comfort though.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by CodeeCB View Post

Wow that's really good! I was super excited when I got my always on down from around 1300 W to just under 700 W. Not much more I can do at this point without sacraficing some convenience and comfort though.
                      That always on doesn't sound right, that's saying you're consuming at baseline 6,132kWhr a year. You really need to look across your years worth of power consumption and find out where the minimum is. Other activity such as furnace fan kicking on, refridgerator compressor kicking on, ... are not part of the baseline, and I'd suspect that you have some of that going on with that screenshot you provided. Or else something else going on.

You're not mining bit coin are you? Running a server? Got Grow lights for recreational plants?

To be at 700W baseline just seems wrong, that 504kWhr/30day month. I average 620kWhr from Sept - May (9 months out of the year) for total power consumption on a 3,000+ sq ft house, a 16yr old Son with a power hungry gaming rig, a 65" Plasma TV that sucks the juice, got a Pool Filter that runs 6hrs a day every day of the year, ... Yes, we're 100% energy star compliant everything except the Plasma TV, all LED bulbs, turn of lights, unplug laptop chargers, ... but still, it just doesn't make sense. If I take out my pool pump, my average power consumption for those months would be less than what you're claiming as your baseline/Always On.

Comment

TAZ... I'm just above you in Shingle Springs. You couldn't be more correct about the poor quality of Mexican cuisine. And I think I have tried them all. Ugh! I highly recommend you drive down to Sac and try Tres Hermanas on K Street. Well worth the 25 minute drive. I doubt You will be disappointed.
                        Last edited by Steve C; 06-05-2018, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve C View Post
                          TAZ... I'm just above you in Shingle Springs. You couldn't be more correct about the poor quality of Mexican cuisine. And I think I have tried them all. Ugh! I highly recommend you drive down to Sac and try Tres Hermanas on K Street. Well worth the 25 minute drive. I doubt You will be disappointed.
                          I've been going to Vallejo's on S & 4th street in Sac - small mom and pop, limited menu, but good quality. I'll have to try Tres Hermanas, marked on Google Maps...

Comment

I'm sure there are some here that use home automation but just to bring it up as a reminder. While the switches and receptacles (ZWave in my instance) have some type of vampire loads for the LEDs and circuits, in some instances it would have to be less that what is being controlled. Almost all our lights have been changed to LED.

A couple of examples, we have a pet fountain that filters the water and has a stream that they can drink from. To prevent it from running all the time (it's also noisy), I put a motion sensor near it and have it controlled from a receptacle. When they go near it, it turns on the pump for as long as there is motion and shuts off 1 minute after they are done.

As to an alarm clock, we no longer have one. We have an old clock radio controlled from a recp that is controlled by the ISY994. I can set schedules like no weekends or holidays and the like.. This may be a trade-off in vampire loads but the LEDs on the recps (depends on the brand) can be shut off. The schedules can also trigger other things like fans, lights, coffee maker, etc...

Another is for the utility rooms and closets. I have lights set to go off 10 minutes after they are turned on. No forgetting to turn them off. An occupancy sensor could do the same. Likewise with all the exhaust fans. If we are home, the garage door opener also shuts off (a little added security there too).

At night, I have all the lights set so they only turn on at 40% and set back to 90% at the alarm clock times. They can be overridden if needed but that saves on lighting loads and kinda helps to relax and wind down before bedtime. Plus, it eliminates the shock of a bright bathroom or hall lights if you have to get up in the middle of the night.

Some people even go so far as to control the Amazon echos and dots on a schedule to prevent vampire loads and some possible eavesdropping.

Anyway, just a reminder or suggestion to some that may not have considered HA.

As to green sauce, there was a fast food chain (Taco Villa) where you would choose red or green sauce. It's been 30 years and I still crave their beef burritos with green sauce. I've tried lots of others but none can replace them. sigh

Comment

Working...
                            X