X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ebrown47302
    • Apr 2018

Looking at a used system and trying to test panels question and concerns

Hi all new to solar and am looking at purchasing a used system and trying to do some tests to confirm the functionality. System installed 5 years ago, 5080 watt array (280 watt nusunsolar Panels x 18) .with sunnybou 5000 US inverter. System was never hooked up for net metering . Guy bought the house with the setup and has no interest in solar. Stated previous owner used the system Little as he was rarely there(it was a 2nd home).

I have found out that the nusunsolar company went out of business in 2 years and were in Columbus, INdiana not far from me. I set off to test the VOC and ISC of the panels To find out if they were in spec and The voltage for The VOC was 55-57V instead of 44 factory spec. The ISC was 4.2-5.2 instead of Factory 8.1. Full sun, panels isolated etc . Tested 9 panels. One panel inoperable had horrible corrosion under where The diodes were and is junk . Are these readings tolerable ? I
    Last edited by ebrown47302; 04-29-2018, 04:17 PM.
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

The low Isc readings and the corrosion, would lead me to pass on them, not worth all the work and then find out they start failing in a month.
    The Voc is not really useful as a quick test, it's the Isc that is the most important.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• ebrown47302
      • Apr 2018

Thanks Mike!

Comment

• Kendalf
        • Feb 2018

Originally posted by ebrown47302
        Guy bought the house with the setup and has no interest in solar. Stated previous owner used the system Little as he was rarely there(it was a 2nd home)
        Even if the owner wasn't there to "use" the energy produced by the panels doesn't change the fact that they have been mounted on the roof and exposed to the elements for 5 years. The PV modules still produce electricity and degrade from sun exposure even if the energy is not actually consumed by a load.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

And, on top of all that good news, FWIW, as used equipment, the system is not eligible for the fed. tax credit.

Comment

Working...