X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sealed engineering

New to the forum.

I've been wanting to install solar for years, not just for the saving but just for the fun of the build. I'm a techie who loves projects, bigger the better.

I picked up a 7 year old system consisting of 36 (1 bad) Canadian Solar 230W panels, Pro Solar racking (with roof jacks) and a SB SMA-7000US inverter from a gentleman that had it in his workshop for the last 5 years. He never did anything with it and wanted it gone.. Have been researching installation and laying out 3 line diagrams for the Florida Solar Energy Center Certification ( I made sure all the components were already registered with them for ease of permitting from them) . Called the county building permitting department to see if I could do everything myself and was told yes. All has been going well until I called the building department for clarification on diagrams for ground mount. Their website only mentioned needing sealed engineering diagrams for roof mount. However I learned from the inspector that I need them also for a ground mounting.that showed it meets wind load for my area.

I had planned on using the Pro Solar racks and their GroundTrac mounting system because of the ease of finding 1.5" schedule 40 galvanized pipe for the uprights and horizontal mounts for the racking. Planning on the upright on the south to only be 1-2 feet and whatever height for the north side for a fixed mount according to Pro Solar's installation document. 3 strings of 11 panels (or 12 if I can find a replacement for the bad one), portrait mounted. I have plenty of space on my property for it.

A few calls to local Solar installers asking if I could pay for them to supply me with said documents resulted in no help. I totally understand they are in the business to install.

So, my question to the forum is, is there anyone out there that can point me to how I might get the needed documents? I live in east central Florida..

Thank you
    Dan

Originally posted by DanP View Post
    so, my question to the forum is, is there anyone out there that can point me to how I might get the needed documents? I live in east central Florida..
    It is just a mater of cash and finding a PE to look things over and have him/her put their stamp on the documents. If I were licensed in Fl could do it for $1500. Call around to custom home builders and ask if they can refer you to a PE. Even electrical contractors should be able to help out. Most Solar Contractors are just General Contractors or Roofers and hire everything out to subs and have a PE on contract. So they are not going to be of much help.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
    X