X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChabSin
    • May 2014

Section 48 Credit Guidelines?

We're a nonprofit trying to afford solar. We have no use for tax-credits ourselves, so we've thankfully found someone to purchase the system from us, taking the credit from the business side (Section 48), then signing a PPA with us. We'll be paying for several years of power upfront. His pledge is to donate the system to us after he's recouped his investment between our payments, tax credits, and accelerated depreciation, but not before five years have passed, so that he doesn't have to return part of the tax credit.

So far so good. Using our nonprofit status, we've been able to negotiate good deals on the equipment, as well as on an installer. But they both want to deal with us directly, rather with the investor.

So to my question:

1. Are we permitted to legally install the system, and then sell it to the investor as is? The section 48 guidelines say that the credit is available to the purchaser as long as he was the original user of the system, which he will be. But we aren't solar installers/contractors. Would that be an issue?
    2. If that answer to #1 is yes: We've negotiated discounts on both the equipment and the installation. May we charge the investor. and may he claim the credit, based on market rates? The ultimate result would be several thousands in more savings to us (this would be totally above board: The investor knows exactly what we've paid, and the market rates are readily available/provable).

Our accountant told us he isn't clear on these points. I perhaps someone here can point us in the right direction.

Thanks!
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Get a more knowledgeable accountant.

Free advice from semi anonymous sources on a forum is worth about what you pay for it.

Besides, the IRS doesn't care what anyone around here thinks. That's why God created CPA's.
    Last edited by J.P.M.; 04-09-2018, 05:45 PM. Reason: Corrected "Fee advise" to "Free advice".

Comment

• ChabSin
      • May 2014

Thanks J.P.M.

Your point is valid, of course, so let me clarify: "Perhaps someone can point us in the right direction" = Perhaps someone knows an expert on this topic? Our accountant can't help.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by ChabSin
        Thanks J.P.M.

Your point is valid, of course, so let me clarify: "Perhaps someone can point us in the right direction" = Perhaps someone knows an expert on this topic? Our accountant can't help.
        You are most welcome. Try SEIA. They may know of a source. Just know that they may be thought of as having skin in the game. Caveat Emptor.

Comment

Working...