X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BuddLakeSE
    • Apr 2018

Does SolarEdge pay labor costs to install warranted like-for-like replacements?

My 3+ year old system has 27 SunPower X21-345 panels on two strings (13&14) with SolarEdge SE7600 inverter using SolarEdge P400 Optimizers. I've been pretty happy with the lower electric bills. However, I did experience 3 failures (I chalked this up to a small sample of infant mortality rate at the time) which the installer repaired after several days/weeks of calling and complaining.

Recently I've retired and had more time to play with the information I get out of the management system. I discovered that three of my optimizers are reported as P300 models, not P400. SolarEdge specs say the P300 optimizer is use with 60-cell panels, but mine are 96-cell. I'm guessing the installer didn't have any P400's on hand and maybe couldn't get them shipped quickly enough, got tired of my daily calls about the outages, so he decided to go with what he had on hand. (note: 3 failures, 3 replacements, 3 P300's - coincidence?? - I think not).

My Question: Does SolarEdge pay him labor costs to install warranted like-for-like replacements? (I want to be well armed with the facts when I call him to complain about this).

P.S. Just got off the phone with SolarEdge tech support - I've got to say they were less than helpful in explaining their management system screens, or tech specs - they told me system owners shouldn't even have access to those reports (said the installer shouldn't never have given me that access!) and to ignore the P300 tech spec-stated limits!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/recommendations.
  • solarix
    Super Moderator
    • Apr 2015

All I can say is they've never paid me for the multiple warranty service calls I've done for SolarEdge.... I was the first guy in Arizona to use SolarEdge but had so many failures that made me look bad to my customers that for some reason I never install SolarEdge any more. I was told at one time that they did pay for labor on warranty service, but I've never seen any. I like the SolarEdge technology, and have it on my house, but their reliability is not good enough...
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• ButchDeal
      Solar Fanatic
      • Apr 2014

Solaredge is not likely to pay anything for miss installed optimizers. The installer would be on the hook for that.
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...