Comment

Originally posted by Emorales View Post
      Thanks Sunking
      You are welcome.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Puerto Rico
        Thank you. I sort of meant where on the island. Sorry for the imprecision. Not enough caffeine yet.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Thank you. I sort of meant where on the island. Sorry for the imprecision. Not enough caffeine yet.
          Jaja I know the feeling. Do you know about Puerto Rico? Im in Bayamon

Comment

Is there a difference aside from jacket color (resistance, performance, ect) in regular #8 stranded cable and ground stranded #8 cable? Can I use #8 b stranded cable as ground cable and tape the ends green?

Comment

So before I make the purchase need to make sure this fuse/breaker fits into system which is 3 260w panels in series (going to 6 in couple months) 50A 150v MPPT/ (8) 6V 230a/h battery bank wired in series 48v/ 2000w 48v AIMS inverter. Cable runs from panel to mppt are 50' using (#8 cable) All the other runs will be no more than 5' using cables per calculator suggestion.

Going with:
              Blue Sea System285-Series 40A Circuit Breaker (between solar panels and MPPT)
              Blue Sea System285-Series 60A Circuit Breaker (between MPPT 50A and Battery Bank)
              Blue Sea System285-Series 80A Circuit Breaker (between Battery Bank 48v 230a/h to Inverter 48V 2000w cont)
              Blue Sea System 300A m-Series Battery Switch
              Looking to have a fuse directly on the positive lead from the battery. Any suggestion? Looking at Blue Sea System MRBF Terminal Fuse Block with 250A fuse

System will be ungrounded for a few months until I recover financially from the initial investment then will ground completely with a Lighting arrestor integrated

Comment

Interesting thread--hope people are recovering well on your island.

I have a 428AH leaded flood acid battery bank with my system and mounted this T-type fuse in AWG 00 battery cable that runs from the bank to the inverter: It seems like a very simple and solid product. Not sure how the price compares to the Blue Sea one you're considering, it runs about $50 shipped.

https://www.altestore.com/store/encl...-holder-p2120/

Although close to the postive post of the battery is good, you don't necessarily want this in your battery enclosure because it could produce a spark which could potentially ignite any accumulated hydrogen gas venting from the batteries. Mine is mounted on the outside of my battery box--24" of cable length away from the post.

Comment

Good day I want to find out if I can connect a 6A10 and a 10A10 diode on a 100W 12V solar panel, we have two 12 volt batteries with a 1200W inverter and a 12/24V charge controller. Is it compulsory for both diodes to be the exact same size or doesnt it matter?

Comment

Originally posted by RayM View Post
                    Good day I want to find out if I can connect a 6A10 and a 10A10 diode on a 100W 12V solar panel, we have two 12 volt batteries with a 1200W inverter and a 12/24V charge controller. Is it compulsory for both diodes to be the exact same size or doesnt it matter?
                    3 steps here
                    1) get a baseball bat (wood , not metal)
                    2) find the source of the information about using a diode, use the bat and smash the source. Diodes have not been needed with panels for 20 years, unless it's a
                    DIY panel that has no factory diodes
                    3) forget about diodes and re-ask the question

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Question...
                      Do I need to vent the batteries enclosure I used? Room its located in is well vented? Attached a picture of enclosure I used
                      Attached Files

Comment

Question...
                        Do I need to vent the batteries enclosure I used? Room its located in is well vented? Attached a picture of enclosure I used
                        are those batteries in the house? if so you need a sealed battery box that is vented to outside.
                        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

are those batteries in the house? if so you need a sealed battery box that is vented to outside.
                          They are inside house on a room with multiple windows and room is almost never used exept for storing miscellaneous stuff.

Comment

They are inside house on a room with multiple windows and room is almost never used exept for storing miscellaneous stuff.
                            So what ? Think safety first. See Butch's last post to this thread.

Comment

well that doesn't really matter. If they are inside the house then they need to be inside a SEALED container that is vented to outside. That plastic container does NOT look sealed.
                              The opening for the wires must be below the top of the batteries but above the bottom of the box (prevent acid from leaking out and prevent hydrogen from leaking out.

When you charge batteries they can produce Hydrogen and Oxygen a very deadly explosive combination, in addition to acid mist which is highly corrosive.
                              You do not want any electronics in the box as the acid mist will corrode it and any possible arc could cause an explosion.

The best venting is a gravity vent (think of an upside down drain system) as hydrogen rises. You want this to be thermally neutral so that you do not create a thermal vent cooling the batteries and room. The easiest way to do this is to use a large plastic pipe that terminates inside the sealed box at the top, with a smaller metal pipe that runs inside the larger plastic pipe and terminates an inch or so from the bottom of the box.

You can see how I did mine at the bottom of this album https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=e36e978ae7
                              OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Working...
                              X