X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Emorales

So as an update. Im following advice to the T. Any suggestions as far as a 48v battery charger that can be runned of 3500w generator
    Use an inverter / charger instead of two different pieces
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• Emorales
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by ButchDeal

Use an inverter / charger instead of two different pieces
      I thought about it but an inverter charger goes around 800 and a charger alone around 250

Comment

• Emorales
        • Dec 2017

Unless i go with chinnese manufactured. Has anyone tried, tested this?

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

To get real charging amps at 48V, you need a hardwired charger @ 240VAC Otherwise, plug in golf cart chargers don't really put out very much. Combo inverter charger is the usual way to go, If I had enough generator, I could charge at 100A. but I have to limit to 30A
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Emorales
            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Mike90250
            To get real charging amps at 48V, you need a hardwired charger @ 240VAC Otherwise, plug in golf cart chargers don't really put out very much. Combo inverter charger is the usual way to go, If I had enough generator, I could charge at 100A. but I have to limit to 30A
            So Im looking at a Aims 2000w 48v @240vac with 20a smart charger. But Im thinking its amp are low? I do have a Honda 3500w generator that I was going to use to power the battery charger but cant find one for 48v with decent amps

Comment

• Emorales
              • Dec 2017

Or is there another way of having a back up to charge batteries on cloudy or rainy days. Battery bank is going to be 48v @230a/h (based of 6v batteries). Maybe charging individually or use a 48v charger even if its low amp, and remove loads while charging with charger, Or can I use a 6v charger since batts are 6v?

Comment

• Mike90250
                • May 2009

What size is your battery bank ? You want to charge flooded lead acid batteries at about 10% of their rated capacity. If you are only charging off generator 1 or 2 x a week, low amps is not a big deal as long as the solar takes over and you get a full charge at least 2x a week

Does the inverter transfer the loads to the generator while it runs, AND charges the batteries at the same time ? And WHAT is the Power Factor of the internal charger ? That will limit what your generator can drive.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• Emorales
                  • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Mike90250
                  What size is your battery bank ? You want to charge flooded lead acid batteries at about 10% of their rated capacity. If you are only charging off generator 1 or 2 x a week, low amps is not a big deal as long as the solar takes over and you get a full charge at least 2x a week

Does the inverter transfer the loads to the generator while it runs, AND charges the batteries at the same time ? And WHAT is the Power Factor of the internal charger ? That will limit what your generator can drive.
                  The battery bank is (8) Flooded Lead Acid 6V @230A wired for 48V. My idea was try to discharge only about 30% during night time. Here in Puerto Rico we get sun peak from 9am to 3pm but sun comes out around 6am goes out 6pm. We do get rainy and cloudy days often especially this time of year but still get around 4-5 days of sun.
                  This are the specs of the inverter I was thinking adding and external charger:
                  DC input: 48V
                  DC input range: 42V-60V
                  No Load Current Draw: 1A
                  Efficiency:85%-90%
                  AC output volt: 120V
                  AC Regulation:3%
                  Frequency: 60Hz
                  Socket:15a USA type
                  Low Voltage Alarm:43V-45V
                  Low Voltage Shut Down: 41V-43V
                  Over Load: shut off, recover manually
                  Over Voltage Shut Down: 61V

I'm still looking for an usable battery charger that can be useful for this bank. I found a inverter/charger that doesn't take me to bad out of budget but its Chinese.
                  Last edited by Emorales; 12-23-2017, 09:57 PM.

Comment

• Emorales
                    • Dec 2017

Or should I downgrade to 12v until I can buy a decent 48v Inverter/Charger the upgrade to 48v (maybe a year)

Comment

• Emorales
                      • Dec 2017

Can I recharge batteries individually meaning buy a 6v battery charger and recharge them individually?

Comment

• Sunking
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Feb 2010

Can I recharge batteries individually meaning buy a 6v battery charger and recharge them individually?
                        A big FAT NOT NO.
                        At least not in the context I think you mean. To charge a 48 volt battery from a genny, use a Golf Cart charger of 20 to 30 amps. Tons of them on the market. Or salvage 48 volt Rectifiers from the Telephone Office industry. Far supperior to anything else you can buy. Those require 240 VAC.

Last edited by Sunking; 12-24-2017, 02:20 PM.
                        MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
                          • May 2009

Or should I downgrade to 12v until I can buy a decent 48v Inverter/Charger the upgrade to 48v (maybe a year)
                          No
                          Do it right the first time.

The inverter 61V shutdown is a problem, you need to get to 64V sometimes to properly EQ the battery bank.

Do you have any 240V loads ?

Your actual usable sun hours are less than 9a - 3p. You can get some harvest then, but it won't be much.

More than 15A of charger @ 48V will require a 240V generator to run it from

Comment

• Emorales
                            • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Sunking
                            A big FAT NOT NO.
                            At least not in the context I think you mean. To charge a 48 volt battery from a genny, use a Golf Cart charger of 20 to 30 amps. Tons of them on the market. Or salvage 48 volt Rectifiers from the Telephone Office industry. Far supperior to anything else you can buy. Those require 240 VAC.
                            Well I was saying was charging each 6v battery that forms the 48v bank separetly (without loads). But Im guessing its still a BIG FAT NO . Found this on Amazon:

Its a 48v golf cart battery charger: The Stanley GBCPRO Vehicle and Golf Cart Battery Charger with Automatic Voltage Detection and 6, 12, 24, 36 and 48 volt charging capability is ideal for golf carts, motorcycles, motor vehicles and boats. It has LCD digital display shows battery and charging status. 4 simple ways to Connect - Round Cart connector, Rectangular Cart Connector, Standard Battery Clamps (for 6-24Volt only), and Universal O-rings. It features reverse polarity protection that eliminates sparks. It is coated for moisture protection. ETL listed.
                            I have 240 available at my house but with grid power and I don't know when that will be reestablished

Comment

• Sunking
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2010

Well I was saying was charging each 6v battery that forms the 48v bank separetly (without loads). But Im guessing its still a BIG FAT NO . Found this on Amazon:

Its a 48v golf cart battery charger: The Stanley GBCPRO Vehicle and Golf Cart Battery Charger with Automatic Voltage Detection and 6, 12, 24, 36 and 48 volt charging capability is ideal for golf carts, motorcycles, motor vehicles and boats. It has LCD digital display shows battery and charging status. 4 simple ways to Connect - Round Cart connector, Rectangular Cart Connector, Standard Battery Clamps (for 6-24Volt only), and Universal O-rings. It features reverse polarity protection that eliminates sparks. It is coated for moisture protection. ETL listed.
                              I have 240 available at my house but with grid power and I don't know when that will be reestablished
                              Keep this in mind:

Power = Voltage x Current

15 amps x 48 volts = 720 watts and would require at least a 1 Kw genny. Once you go higher than about 25 to 30 amps at 48 bolts means 240 volts AC.

Current = Power / Voltage

MSEE, PE

Comment

• Emorales
                                • Dec 2017

Originally posted by Sunking

Keep this in mind:

Power = Voltage x Current

15 amps x 48 volts = 720 watts and would require at least a 1 Kw genny. Once you go higher than about 25 to 30 amps at 48 bolts means 240 volts AC.

Current = Power / Voltage
                                I do have a honda 3.5kw generator that has 220v available

Comment

Working...