X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Emorales View Post
    What determines what rate fuse to use
    The wire size, if you have a 10ga wire, it nearly always needs 30A overcurrent protection. NEC Ampacity tables list wire, insulation and amp rating
    https://lugsdirect.com/WireCurrentAm...ble-301-16.htm scroll down to the chart
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

    solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

    Comment


    • #47
      So with a 50A 150v max Mppt.
      What is the maximum combination (series/parallel) of panels 260W I can use? Is it 6 3s3p
      Last edited by Emorales; 01-03-2018, 09:23 AM.

      Comment


      • #48
        Is their a way to connect multiple mppt in series or parallel with different pv arrays top charge same battery bank

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by Emorales View Post
          Is their a way to connect multiple mppt in series or parallel with different pv arrays top charge same battery bank
          Each controller needs to have its own PV array. The controllers can be connected to the same battery bank (controllers in parallel), but please make sure you have good over-current protection. Some of the higher end models can communicate with each other and coordinate, but it isn't strictly necessary.
          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by sensij View Post

            Each controller needs to have its own PV array. The controllers can be connected to the same battery bank (controllers in parallel), but please make sure you have good over-current protection. Some of the higher end models can communicate with each other and coordinate, but it isn't strictly necessary.
            So is this accurate?
            With a 50A 150v max Mppt.the maximum combination (series/parallel) of panels 260W I can use? Is it 6 3s3p

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Emorales View Post

              So is this accurate?
              With a 50A 150v max Mppt.the maximum combination (series/parallel) of panels 260W I can use? Is it 6 3s3p
              Yes, three panels per string.

              You can put as many strings in parallel as you'd like (as long as combined isc is less than 50 A), but once you have more than two strings (6 total panels), you might start to see some clipping. That means the controller is no longer at the maximum power point, but instead increases the PV voltage to drop the power and hold the controller output to 50 A.

              You could probably go to three strings (9 panels) cost effectively, if panels are cheap. Facing strings east and west can reduce clipping and extend the charging day, if you have enough panels that you are clipping when they all face south.

              Edit: my comments on clipping were based on a 24 V battery. At 48 V, you could handle three strings (9 panels) without clipping, and consider adding more beyond that.
              Last edited by sensij; 01-07-2018, 03:47 AM.
              CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by sensij View Post

                Yes, three panels per string.

                You can put as many strings in parallel as you'd like (as long as combined isc is less than 50 A), but once you have more than two strings (6 total panels), you might start to see some clipping. That means the controller is no longer at the maximum power point, but instead increases the PV voltage to drop the power and hold the controller output to 50 A.

                You could probably go to three strings (9 panels) cost effectively, if panels are cheap. Facing strings east and west can reduce clipping and extend the charging day, if you have enough panels that you are clipping when they all face south.
                Sorry for the ignorance but trying to learn as fast as I can and the terminology. By strings you mean a combination of pv panels? Or sting is a set # of panels?

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Emorales View Post

                  Sorry for the ignorance but trying to learn as fast as I can and the terminology. By strings you mean a combination of pv panels? Or sting is a set # of panels?
                  String is a set of pv modules in series ( only series).
                  You then can rig strings in parallel
                  OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Emorales View Post

                    Sorry for the ignorance but trying to learn as fast as I can and the terminology. By strings you mean a combination of pv panels? Or sting is a set # of panels?
                    Suggestion: Buy a copy of "Solar Power Your Home for Dummies". $20 or so at bookstores/Amazon. Or: "Photovoltaic Design and Installation for Dummies".
                    Last edited by J.P.M.; 01-06-2018, 12:32 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

                      Suggestion: Buy a copy of "Solar Power Your Home for Dummies". $20 or so at bookstores/Amazon. Or: "Photovoltaic Design and Installation for Dummies".
                      The sarcasm is strong with this one

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        The DUMMIES series is actually a very good basic first step. They define a lot of terms, and put a lot of info at your fingertips. There used to be a free PDF of v1.0 floating on the web, but that may have been booted out. It's not that we want you to spend $20, it's that it's a huge resource till you get caught up on all the jargon and terms. There are likely examples of 2s4p string setups, DC combiner boxes [combiner boxes REQUIRED at 3p or more strings, fire safety thing) and as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
                        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

                        solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                          The DUMMIES series is actually a very good basic first step. They define a lot of terms, and put a lot of info at your fingertips. There used to be a free PDF of v1.0 floating on the web, but that may have been booted out. It's not that we want you to spend $20, it's that it's a huge resource till you get caught up on all the jargon and terms. There are likely examples of 2s4p string setups, DC combiner boxes [combiner boxes REQUIRED at 3p or more strings, fire safety thing) and as they say, a picture is worth a thousand words.
                          Well since we are in the books theme. Any good books about solar that you recommend (besides the above mentioned that I just bought)

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Emorales View Post

                            The sarcasm is strong with this one
                            Actually it is a good suggestion on how to learn about solar installations. Just because it has the word Dummies in it doesn't mean only Dummies should read it.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Emorales View Post
                              Well since we are in the books theme. Any good books about solar that you recommend (besides the above mentioned that I just bought)
                              Nope .. There is so much crap and hype out there, I don't know of any others worth reading. Morningstar has some nice white papers on their site, talks about their charge controllers and sings the praise about their algorithms. But the papers are pretty decent and not too technical. (once you have the basics)
                              https://www.morningstarcorp.com/white-papers/

                              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

                              solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Emorales View Post

                                The sarcasm is strong with this one
                                There was and is no sarcasm intended in that post. Sounded like you might have appreciated a point or two in a helpful direction. It was meant as a serious and respectful suggestion. It won't happen again.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X