X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TexPVguy
    • Nov 2016

Solar on shop, home insurance will not cover. now what?

a PV installation on top of a shop, which is across an alley way from the actual home of which it supplies electricity, is not covered by "home insurance". What is best/most practical way to get system insured?
  • azdave
    • Oct 2014

Talk to a real insurance agent instead of some PV guys on the internet?

Seriously, so who is insuring the shop under the panels?
    Dave W. Gilbert AZ
    6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

You might have to increase your coverage for "out buildings" and their contents.

Getting a value of the pv system may be beyond most insurance companies so you might have to give them a value.

Don't be surprised if your rates go up with those additions to your policy.

Comment

• TexPVguy
        • Nov 2016

Originally posted by azdave
        Talk to a real insurance agent instead of some PV guys on the internet?

Seriously, so who is insuring the shop under the panels?
        I am talking to a couple insurance agents. This is a common question that people have in my area that insurance agents do not have experience with. West Texas is a little behind on the Solar wave.

Comment

• TexPVguy
          • Nov 2016

Originally posted by SunEagle
          You might have to increase your coverage for "out buildings" and their contents.

Getting a value of the pv system may be beyond most insurance companies so you might have to give them a value.

Don't be surprised if your rates go up with those additions to your policy.
          There is a alley between home and shop and homeowners does not extend past the alley. I will look into "out building" options. Thank you.

Comment

• foo1bar
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2014

Originally posted by TexPVguy
            There is a alley between home and shop and homeowners does not extend past the alley. I will look into "out building" options. Thank you.
            "shop" can have different meanings.

Is the "shop" a business?
            In which case I'd think there would be separate insurance for the building, the contents and attachments (such as solar panels)

If it's not a business, why does the homeowner's insurance not extend to it? (what happens when someone gets hurt on that part of the property?)

Comment

• SunEagle
              Super Moderator
              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by foo1bar

In which case I'd think there would be separate insurance for the building, the contents and attachments (such as solar panels)

If it's not a business, why does the homeowner's insurance not extend to it? (what happens when someone gets hurt on that part of the property?)
              If the shop is located on a different parcel then the home the insurance policy may not extend to it or it's contents unless specifically listed in the policy.

Comment

• foo1bar
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle
                If the shop is located on a different parcel then the home the insurance policy may not extend to it or it's contents unless specifically listed in the policy.
                It may not currently.

But I'd want it to.

And I think that my insurance could cover adjacent lots. Even if they were legally separate lots, having them touch was enough that I could have a single policy covering multiple lots. And they'd effectively be considered as one unit / one policy from insurance Co's perspective.
                (which brings up - is the alley a separate parcel that legally belongs to someone at one end of it? Or does the alley belong to the HOA for that neighborhood? Or do the parcels meet somewhere in the middle of the alley and it's an easement on both property's deeds? Or something else?)

Comment

• TexPVguy
                  • Nov 2016

Originally posted by foo1bar

it is not a business. It is a little building that is used for storage with a lean to coming off of it that provides shade and shelter for some goats.

Comment

• azdave
                    • Oct 2014

Maybe you need to change insurance companies if your current provider won't offer coverage. I don't get why it is not already considered a part of your homeowner's policy. Most homeowner's policies will cover buildings on your property that aren't attached to your home, like a gazebo, shed or detached garage.

Like I said up top, you need to talk to several insurance agents in your area and not people like us who are guessing at your situation.
                    Dave W. Gilbert AZ
                    6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• Sunburner
                      • Sep 2017

I just went through this with two separate rooftop installations covered by 2 different carriers. One system is on a detached garage adjacent to a business and the other on a farm building 1/4 mile from my home. In both cases, because they are "attached" to the buildings, the insurers considered them part of the buildings and I just increased the amount of coverage to reflect the value of the solar systems. Each added $350 -$400 to my annual premiums for 10kW and 12kW arrays. That seems high to me and I'm researching other alternatives. Carriers are Auto-Owners Insurance and Farm Bureau. I'd be interested to know if there are any solar-specific insurers with competitive pricing.

Comment

• DanS26
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Sunburner
                        I just went through this with two separate rooftop installations covered by 2 different carriers. One system is on a detached garage adjacent to a business and the other on a farm building 1/4 mile from my home. In both cases, because they are "attached" to the buildings, the insurers considered them part of the buildings and I just increased the amount of coverage to reflect the value of the solar systems. Each added $350 -$400 to my annual premiums for 10kW and 12kW arrays. That seems high to me and I'm researching other alternatives. Carriers are Auto-Owners Insurance and Farm Bureau. I'd be interested to know if there are any solar-specific insurers with competitive pricing.
                        State Farm covered my two 36 panel ground mount arrays with both property and liability coverage under existing policy rules at no increase in cost. They even sent a certificate of coverage to my POCO as required by the interconnect agreement.

When I switched all my bundled coverage to Allstate, they also covered the solar system and also decreased my premiums by over $400 per year. Gotta love competition. I re-quote my insurance coverage every other year with multiple insurance carriers.

Comment

• Sunburner
                          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by DanS26

State Farm covered my two 36 panel ground mount arrays with both property and liability coverage under existing policy rules at no increase in cost. They even sent a certificate of coverage to my POCO as required by the interconnect agreement.

When I switched all my bundled coverage to Allstate, they also covered the solar system and also decreased my premiums by over $400 per year. Gotta love competition. I re-quote my insurance coverage every other year with multiple insurance carriers.
                          Thanks DanS26. Time to shop around.

Comment

Working...