X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inspron
    • Aug 2017

SDGE: Could NEM TOU excess generation credits be offset Tier usage at full value?

I received PTO mid-Aug and at the time I was on Tier usage. For the month of Aug 2017, I have a bill for $100 under tiered rates.

I switched to TOU2-EV rate starting the second bill, Sept 2017.

Since then, I have been receiving excess generation credit based on my high-value generation during peak hours under TOU2-EV.

Hypothetically, at my annual true-up, if I have excess generation credit, could that be applied toward my Aug bill at the full retail value or will I only receive wholesale electricity value before the credit is applied toward my tiered usage?

I am only on my second bill and I am fully aware that a lot could change between now and my annual true-up. Just curious, a hypothetical question - for those that have gone through the true-up billing.

Thanks!
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by inspron
    I received PTO mid-Aug and at the time I was on Tier usage. For the month of Aug 2017, I have a bill for $100 under tiered rates.

I switched to TOU2-EV rate starting the second bill, Sept 2017.

Since then, I have been receiving excess generation credit based on my high-value generation during peak hours under TOU2-EV.

Hypothetically, at my annual true-up, if I have excess generation credit, could that be applied toward my Aug bill at the full retail value or will I only receive wholesale electricity value before the credit is applied toward my tiered usage?

I am only on my second bill and I am fully aware that a lot could change between now and my annual true-up. Just curious, a hypothetical question - for those that have gone through the true-up billing.

Thanks!
    Here is an example of a true-up in which the first two months were tiered billing, accumulating a $14.13 balance, before switching the the EV-TOU-2 plan. You can see that in the final month, all $81.35 of credits I had remaining were applied to chip away at the $14.13 balance, even though the charges for that final month were only $69.31.

Whether your August bill gets offset or not, keep in mind your true-up will result in charges of at least $120.. the minimum monthly charge of $10, plus whatever NBC charges tack on. The CA Climate Credit will partially offset these charges, but generation credits will not.

true-up.JPG
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• cebury
      Solar Fanatic
      • Sep 2011

Is your bill for $100 showing it is due for payment and therefore from prior to solar, or that it is falling within your annual TrueUp period, so it says do not make a payment at this time (or make a minimum 10ish payment). If it is for kwh charges post your PTO, kwh credits you earn under the new plan should offset standard kwh credits owed on your plan, with the normal exceptions of minimum bill payments, NonBypassable Charges, etc.

Keep in mind, relatively few people are eligible to receive wholesale credit rates. Only those that have oversized their PV system such that they are Exporting more to their utility than they Import (aka net generator). Which means it isnt just a "tad" oversized, because the utility doesnt see everything you generate, thus it is fairly oversized to have to be a Net Generator.

Comment

• inspron
        • Aug 2017

Originally posted by sensij

Here is an example of a true-up in which the first two months were tiered billing, accumulating a $14.13 balance, before switching the the EV-TOU-2 plan. You can see that in the final month, all $81.35 of credits I had remaining were applied to chip away at the $14.13 balance, even though the charges for that final month were only $69.31.

Whether your August bill gets offset or not, keep in mind your true-up will result in charges of at least $120.. the minimum monthly charge of $10, plus whatever NBC charges tack on. The CA Climate Credit will partially offset these charges, but generation credits will not.
        Thank you Sensij!

The $100 tiered bill was after PTO so I am glad to know that my excess generation will offset that bill at retail rates.

Comment

• inspron
          • Aug 2017

Originally posted by cebury
          Is your bill for $100 showing it is due for payment and therefore from prior to solar, or that it is falling within your annual TrueUp period, so it says do not make a payment at this time (or make a minimum 10ish payment). If it is for kwh charges post your PTO, kwh credits you earn under the new plan should offset standard kwh credits owed on your plan, with the normal exceptions of minimum bill payments, NonBypassable Charges, etc.
          Great thanks. The bill was post PTO and within my True-up window. Nice to know.

Comment

Working...