X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jpoet
    • May 2017

Monitoring recommendation

I had a SolarEdge consumption meter installed with my solar panels. That meter has never reported correct "export"/"self consumption" information. Solar production and import are correct, but when producing solar energy, the export values have always been a fraction of reality (typically around 1/3). This results in SolarEdge thinking that my "self consumption" is about 3x higher than it actually is. At night, when I am not producing any solar energy, then the export value is zero, so at least it gets that right

I have been going around and around with SolarEdge support about this. At first they said the CTs were incompatible, and demanded we install SolarEdge branded CTs. The original CTs are what my installer's distributor sent to be used with the consumption meter. After waiting a month, the distributor finally came back and said that SolarEdge no longer "brands" their own CTs, and that SolarEdge recommends Accu-CT, so my installer replaced the orignal CTs with those. That did not solve the problem.

Now, SolarEdge is saying the rating of the CTs is too low. I have 200A service provided by two 100A legs. There is one 100A rated CT per leg. I guess we can get those 100A CTs replaced with 200A CTs, but I have pretty much had it with this issue.

My installer is recommending ditching the SolarEdge consumption monitor and switching to something else. They will happily refund the cost of that meter (and CTs) and pretty much let me choose whatever I want to replace it with. So, now the question is, with what?

I would like something that is compatible with PVoutput.org. It looks like neurio and smappee fit that bill. Are there others I should consider? Any recommendations?

TIA
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

It sounds like your installer has the wrong CTs and that they have them miss configured in the inverter. You have t tell the inverter the size of the CTs.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• jpoet
      • May 2017

Originally posted by ButchDeal
      It sounds like your installer has the wrong CTs and that they have them miss configured in the inverter. You have t tell the inverter the size of the CTs.
      When SolarEdge support first configured the inverter with these new CTs, they initially set the CT configuration value to 200. When I questioned them about that, they claimed that that configuration represented the sum of the two CTs.

I called and talked to another SolarEdge engineer, and complained that the import values were double what they should be. He said that configuration should be 100, to match the value of each CT. After he changed it to 100, that fixed the import values, but the export values are still wrong.

I admit that I don't understand how the value of the CTs can cause the export to be wrong, while the import is correct, since the same CTs are used to measure both. The only way I can see replacing these 100A CTs with 200A CTs would fix the problem, is if I am somehow clipping the export value, but that seems unlikely to me. My solar is feeding my panel via a 240v 30A breaker, so 100A CTs should be able to represent the entire possible export value, right?

Comment

Working...