X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • swpr77
    • Oct 2017

Feedback on a few companies in LA County

I have done a lot of searching and reading on here from many many threads and I decided to get this ball going soon.

I was wondering if anyone has used any of the following installers:

1) Solarcity
    2) Solar 360
    3) Green Conception
    4) Solar Optimum

I was told I can choose between Panasonic Panels and LG Panels and I believe the inverter is Solar Edge.

I plan on going with 16 panels so I am just over the 100% mark just incase I go over my current usage.
    Most of the quotes I got are within the $14,500 - $19,000 range.

Also, what would be the potential savings if someone goes the DIY path in terms of installation.
  • DrLumen
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2017

1) Research the panels and decide which you want to use. It will probably be a toss up but you may find something in the specs that will lead you to a brand.
    2) Have them give you hard bids using those panels and the SolarEdge inverter.
    3) Check any online reviews, BBB or possibly CA incorporations to see when they started doing business.
    4) See if they have the required insurance, bonds and will get permits for the work from the city/county.
    5) What is your 'feel' when you talk to them. Do they seem knowledgeable or a bunch of rubes out for a quick buck?

As far as DIY, that is up to you and whatever utility and city codes may be in effect. If I'm not mistaken, you will need a contractor's bill to apply for the 30% tax credit. Any local incentives and utility company may require permits and licensed electricians to do the install. If this off-grid then you can probably do anything you want.

---PS
    6) Confirm the warranties and guarantees for parts and labor that they offer. Kinda useless in my book as it is unknown if the installers or equipment makers will even be around to honor them but just in case...
    Last edited by DrLumen; 10-10-2017, 04:38 AM.

Comment

• DrLumen
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2017

One of submissions I received for my install. I still can't help but laugh.

Incompetence or accident but, either way, they didn't get the job...

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by DrLumen
        1) Research the panels and decide which you want to use. It will probably be a toss up but you may find something in the specs that will lead you to a brand.
        2) Have them give you hard bids using those panels and the SolarEdge inverter.
        3) Check any online reviews, BBB or possibly CA incorporations to see when they started doing business.
        4) See if they have the required insurance, bonds and will get permits for the work from the city/county.
        5) What is your 'feel' when you talk to them. Do they seem knowledgeable or a bunch of rubes out for a quick buck?

As far as DIY, that is up to you and whatever utility and city codes may be in effect. If I'm not mistaken, you will need a contractor's bill to apply for the 30% tax credit. Any local incentives and utility company may require permits and licensed electricians to do the install. If this off-grid then you can probably do anything you want.

---PS
        6) Confirm the warranties and guarantees for parts and labor that they offer. Kinda useless in my book as it is unknown if the installers or equipment makers will even be around to honor them but just in case...
        Fed. tax credit may require receipts for materials/labor in an audit, but to be clear, nothing in the fed, tax code disqualifies DIY from the fed. tax credit simply because it's DIY.

DIY can be done successfully for maybe 1/2 the cost of DIY, assuming labor cost == $0. But, beyond the lack of self respect that values self labor as zero, DIY savings come at an additional cost to the solar ignorant who attempt DIY solar and think they know their stuff and often/usually wind up in a world of hurt and waste. Installing PV is not like installing a garage door opener.

If DIY, check w/local jurisdiction for particular requirements. Usually, there are surprises that are better dealt with before things start than during or after.

Comment

• inspron
          • Aug 2017

Originally posted by DrLumen
          One of submissions I received for my install. I still can't help but laugh.

Incompetence or accident but, either way, they didn't get the job...
          HAHAHAHAH.

*Incompetence* period. RUN. FAST.

Comment

• DrLumen
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2017

Yeah and other than SolarWorld, they were the highest bid.

I'm guessing they just didn't want the job but was willing to cash in if I was an idiot.

Comment

• swpr77
              • Oct 2017

Which company was that?

Comment

• DrLumen
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2017

It was a local company. IMS in Arlington TX.

Comment

• swpr77
                  • Oct 2017

So no one has had any experience with those companies or other LA companies?

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by swpr77
                    So no one has had any experience with those companies or other LA companies?
                    I've got a fair amount of experience with SolarCity, just not in L.A., but, for reasons I could never figure out, dealt with offices in San Diego, Las Vegas (before they pulled out), San Francisco and Portland, OR, and none of it is good. I wouldn't let them set foot on my property. I don't see why L.A. would be any different.

Comment

Working...