Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why don't SCE rates on bill match published tariffs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't SCE rates on bill match published tariffs?

I know that the tariffs are really complicated to understand, but I think I understand all the constituent pieces for my TOU-D-A rate, yet the numbers published don't match up with the tariff

This is the published tariff:
    https://www.sce.com/NR/sc3/tm2/pdf/ce360.pdf

Examples (all based on summer rates):
    Tariff shows total delivery charge per kWh is 0.15037 for peak and off peak. That number includes the DWR bond charge of 0.00549/kWh. So without the bond charge it is 0.14488/kWh. The bond charge is separately broken out on the bill at the correct 0.005549 rate, but the delivery charge on the bill is 0.14546/kWh - higher than expected by 0.00058. Not much, but still a difference

Similarly, for super offpeak, the tariff is 0.08458 without the bond charge but my bill is 0.08516. That is the same delta as above.

On the generation side of things, the tariff shows 0.29549/kWh for peak, but the bill shows 0.29570/kWh. Again, the bill is higher by 0.00021/kWh

Off peak is 0.12651/kWh in the tariff and 0.12671/kWh on the bill, high by 0.0002/kWh

Super off peak is 0.03921/kWh in the tariff and 0.03921/kWh on the bill, so they actually match here

I do notice that everything except the super off peak generation number (which matches up) in the tariff has a (R) next to it, but there is zero explanation of what that means anywhere in the tariff as far as I can tell. Is that some sort of indicator of "variable"?

The tariff you linked is effective October 1. Have you tracked down the tariff that was effective for your bill?
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Well dang it! Why would they be linking to a tariff that isn't even effective yet (tomorrow) as the current tariff. I found the historical tariff that was in effect and it matches up. I had no idea that tariffs change this much. In the 2017 historical tariff there is one effective Jan 1 and one effective June 1. Now there is another effective October 1! How am I going to keep my spreadsheet accurate..... Now the tariff tab can never be right for a long period of time. If I update that tab it will update all the historical data which is incorrect. Grrrr

Comment

Yeah, I just populate all the necessary tariff info in same row of the spreadsheet that has the consumption data. Billing months with tariff changes get two rows (before and after the change), and seasonal changes create two row months for me too.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by jasonvr View Post
          Well dang it! Why would they be linking to a tariff that isn't even effective yet (tomorrow) as the current tariff. I found the historical tariff that was in effect and it matches up. I had no idea that tariffs change this much. In the 2017 historical tariff there is one effective Jan 1 and one effective June 1. Now there is another effective October 1! How am I going to keep my spreadsheet accurate..... Now the tariff tab can never be right for a long period of time. If I update that tab it will update all the historical data which is incorrect. Grrrr
          8,760 rows, 1 per each hour of the year referencing 1 of the 6 or 8 or however many different hourly rates are on the tariff. I do 2 weeks of 168 hrs. each, one for summer, one for winter, copy as appropriate for the 2 seasons and change the holiday (5 days for me). It's mostly a big copy job. Once done, provided the times or other conditions don't change, only the new prices need to be change. NBC will need to be added, but the quantity of kWh can be read from a smart meter, and the total pricing/kWh can be had from the tariffs, although that can be a bother the first few times doing it.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. My data is actually at 15 minute intervals (net consumption from SCE and generation from SolarEdge), so 4 times as much. I think what I'll end up doing is archiving the tariff tab when it changes (with a note indicating the valid period), and then essentially lock the data within that time period on the main sheet by copying it all, and then pasting back in as values instead of formulas. Then, when I update the tariff tab, it only affects the new data. Once the tariff changes again, rinse and repeat.

Comment

Originally posted by jasonvr View Post
              Thanks for the suggestions. My data is actually at 15 minute intervals (net consumption from SCE and generation from SolarEdge), so 4 times as much. I think what I'll end up doing is archiving the tariff tab when it changes (with a note indicating the valid period), and then essentially lock the data within that time period on the main sheet by copying it all, and then pasting back in as values instead of formulas. Then, when I update the tariff tab, it only affects the new data. Once the tariff changes again, rinse and repeat.
              Me too. For that stuff, the spreadsheet is 8,760 * 4. Sounds daunting, but the amount of work is almost the same for formatting the weeks that get copied.. Or, for convenience, once I download that 15 minute data , since I only care about hours and not partial hours, I compress it to 4 -->> 1 and work with that usage in the 8,760 row format.

Add: Almost forgot, I've found that all my 15 minute data has missing data. My 2013 data for example has 27 missing 15 minute intervals. other years are similar. That means when I compress the data to 1 hr., everything gets screwed up if I'm not careful. Your data may have similar gaps.
              Last edited by J.P.M.; 10-01-2017, 11:43 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X