Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do you do when your utility won't update your meter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do when your utility won't update your meter?

So my solar system is complete, I've uploaded and completed all the requirements for the DTE (Detroit Edison) net metering program and paid the fee...

The net metering department seems to be non existent. I've tried calling their phone number about 40 times (at different hours) without a single answer.. just an automated answering service. I've emailed them four or five times and left at least 5 voice mail messages and no response.

I even tried calling the DTE main line, getting in touch with a supervisor, and after 30 minutes of her putting me on hold, coming back, back on hold, etc, even she said she could not contact the net metering department. (its actually called the interconnection something but whatever)..

So now what? They took my money ($100 fee) and cashed the check and now I can't get a hold of anyone.. been trying for two weeks now.

I'm about to call whatever Michigan regulatory agency that handles this stuff but would really prefer not to go there..

Like a Hollywood movie company - Don't call us, we'll call you.
    sadly, they hold all the cards
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Murby View Post
      So my solar system is complete, I've uploaded and completed all the requirements for the DTE (Detroit Edison) net metering program and paid the fee...

The net metering department seems to be non existent. I've tried calling their phone number about 40 times (at different hours) without a single answer.. just an automated answering service. I've emailed them four or five times and left at least 5 voice mail messages and no response.

I even tried calling the DTE main line, getting in touch with a supervisor, and after 30 minutes of her putting me on hold, coming back, back on hold, etc, even she said she could not contact the net metering department. (its actually called the interconnection something but whatever)..

So now what? They took my money ($100 fee) and cashed the check and now I can't get a hold of anyone.. been trying for two weeks now.

I'm about to call whatever Michigan regulatory agency that handles this stuff but would really prefer not to go there..
      do they have any timeline outlined in the application pages? If so nothing might work before that expires.

Comment

Feel free to go to the Public Utility Commission . I expect there is statutory deadline somewhere for the interconnect to happen. Odds are you have to file a written complaint with the PUC and the PUC will then call the utility. Usually a phone call from the PUC to the utility gets a lot of attention.

Comment

The PoCo here took 12 weeks after taking my money, to put in the meter. I managed to corner the meter
          reader and he went up through the local section to the "big city". Found out they hadn't even ordered a
          net meter. In truth, there is no reason the meter shouldn't be installed as soon as the money is paid; it
          doesn't matter when the PV system is ready. Bruce Roe

Comment

Call the PUC. Then, take a trip to the DTE office and professionally but firmly make your case and begin climbing the chain of command. Take notes and get the name of everyone you speak with - everyone.

Pack a lunch.

Comment

Working...
            X