• silverhorsefarm
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2010

Skeptics, Unite!

SHF produces something besides manure!
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

The link is full of unverified claims, hype and blatant advertising B.S. No better than that.

Comment

• max2k
      • May 2015

Originally posted by J.P.M.
      The link is full of unverified claims, hype and blatant advertising B.S. No better than that.
      where do I place the order ? My take on this is simple- let it develop into something besides marketing BS, get some reliability record at which point I'd clearly see what fine print that 'infinite warranty' had. When company doesn't reveal few important details (inter-tile connections) plays with numbers by pro- rating its price over asphalt shingles lifetime, takes money when the product is not available yet- I'll wait .

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Proof Positive US Education System has failed. So many pigeons to be plucked today.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

• AzRoute66
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2017

Early in the comments on the article a roofing contractor explains that the Tesla cost is actually 10x + over asphalt shingle.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

So looks like consensus so far is the article that's linked is B.S. ?

Comment

• silverhorsefarm
              Solar Fanatic
              • Apr 2010

I understand the skepticism, but I hope this product meets all the hype. I have conventional panels and am very happy, but if this give more people cause to go with PV, and it makes good on all the promises, then who's to criticize? I know there's a lot of hating on this board for all things Musk, but I think he's a visionary and a courageous entrepreneur.

Comment

• max2k
                • May 2015

Originally posted by silverhorsefarm
                I understand the skepticism, but I hope this product meets all the hype. I have conventional panels and am very happy, but if this give more people cause to go with PV, and it makes good on all the promises, then who's to criticize? I know there's a lot of hating on this board for all things Musk, but I think he's a visionary and a courageous entrepreneur.
                when it comes to his late enterprises I call it BS until proven otherwise. IMO he got carried away; intentionally or not is another question but I'm not betting my money on him. So far they failed (IMO) to deliver much more familiar product- Powerwall battery. Supposedly they have in house expertise related to lithium batteries so it would be relatively simple for them to come up with marketable product like Powerwall as the rest of the components are more or less standard. So far their installations are spotty to say the least and the story changes with each case.

Solar cells are much less familiar to them as they don't have product in that area so from that point of view it is even further from the market than Powerwall. As such it has high probability to end up pure BS. If it was so ready to market company would be pushing out details to get solar/roofing companies (not end customers) interest so they could start selling it on every corner. Instead it wants to do installations by itself and makes appeals to non educated public asking them to part with their money in exchange to their claims.Nothing adds up here for me.

Comment

• Sunking
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2010

I understand the skepticism, but I hope this product meets all the hype.
                  Like I said, proof the US Education system has failed. There are people ignorant enough to want or believe in such fairy tales. If you had taken basic high school physics and math we use to teach, you would know it is BS.

Secondly if you know anything about Musk, you know it is Fraud. Just a matter of time before this guy winds up in prison for security fraud.
                  Last edited by Sunking; 08-06-2017, 04:44 PM.
                  MSEE, PE

Comment

• J.P.M.
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2013

I'm to criticize. There is nothing stopping some well intentioned but solar ignorant folks from seeing what they want to see, hearing what they want to hear and believing this stuff works without a shed of proof. They get screwed, solar gets another black eye and the con men score. It's a free country to spread B.S. It's also a free country for me and some others to call it B.S. when we think we smell it. The referenced/linked piece is a bill of goods. It's B.S.

Comment

• Rdjntx
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jul 2012

This product does nothing of the kind. in addition to what is already mentioned, they claim that 6500.00 will put enough powerwall batter to "potentially take your home completely off the grid" that is obvious bull**** hype as that price MIGHT be two powerwalls enough to run your average house for maybe a couple of hours at night. the rest of the time you are without power or running essentials like refrigeration and that is about it. Musk has made his name by over promising tech and the sheep and the wolves of wallstreet eat it up, all the while ignoring missed deadlines, quality control issues, and flat out lies to push his product.

Comment

• silverhorsefarm
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Apr 2010

You know, the personal assaults are not helpful. I am trying to have a reasoned discussion of a new product and don't appreciate the personal attacks on my intelligence and having my education credentials impugned. This board tends towards abusive.

Comment

• Mike90250
                          • May 2009

.....This board tends towards abusive.
                          Or brutally Honest.

We aim to misbehave - Mal

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• SunEagle
                            Super Moderator
                            • Oct 2012

You know, the personal assaults are not helpful. I am trying to have a reasoned discussion of a new product and don't appreciate the personal attacks on my intelligence and having my education credentials impugned. This board tends towards abusive.
                            Try not to feel it is a personal attach on you. But instead try to understand that the members are criticizing that solar shingle website.

With today's advertising technology it has become much easier to fool someone into believing a product will perform as indicated just to get them to purchase it even though it may not.

While some feel that Musk is a visionary others can read through his hype and flashy advertisements to see the truth that some of his products are nothing more than a distraction from his companies money issues.

Maybe if he didn't make promises that have not been fulfilled or falsely lead his customers into giving money up front for products that may or may not be delivered more of us would put more trust in him.

As I indicated before in another post, most magicians are not magical but have the ability to make their audience look at one thing while they are doing something else which tends to mystify but really just confuses them into believing anything they see.

I feel that Musk is one of the "kings of misdirection" and I won't put my trust in him.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

I must have missed something. I honestly (or dishonestly for that matter) haven't seen any personal attacks upon you or your educational credentials ( and thinking about it, I'm not sure how I'd go about attacking a credential). The closest I saw in this thread was an implication by SK that you may not have taken physics or math.

It ain't about you. It's about Musk, his cons and the damage they can and often do. Those with knowledgeable and experience see the B.S. Those who do not spread it and eat it.

Welcome to the forum of few(er) illusions.

Comment

Working...