X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ccdengr
    • Jul 2017

current electricity pricing via Rainforest?

I've got the original model of Rainforest EMU paired with my SDG&E meter. It's never received a current price from the meter since I've had it and I have to manually set the rate (I'm on DR at the moment, soon to be DR-SES; obviously setting the rate manually with TOU is impractical.) An old document (last updated in 2014) on the SDG&E website ( https://www.sdge.com/sites/default/f...%20v012714.pdf ) says "price information is not currently available via the smart meter and will be available at a later date". Seems lame.

Does anyone with more up-to-date Rainforest equipment receive pricing information, or is SDG&E just not sending it yet?
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

I don't think sdg&e is sending it. If you connect the data to PVoutput, you can load the DR-SES tariff there to see the daily accounting. You just have to manually update the rates when the seasons change.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• inspron
      • Aug 2017

I called SDGE last week and this week to follow-up on this exact issue.

I was told that DR-SES (tier 1,2) users will be receiving rate broadcasts starting next week. TOU users will not yet receive rate broadcast in the foreseeable future.

Comment

• sabersix
        • Mar 2015

I'm on SDG&E DR schedule with RainForest Eagle. I just checked and I'm now receiving rate info from the meter (wasn't before). I had a gap in reporting the night of Aug 2nd. Maybe that is when it was updated?

RainForest Screen Cap.PNG
        5.775 kW System: 21 SolarWorld SW275 x 1 SMA 5000

Comment

• ccdengr
          • Jul 2017

Yes, mine's working as well now (I'm still on DR for the rest of the month). Of course, if works on DR and doesn't on a TOU rate like DR-SES, then that's pretty worthless, since it's easy to set the DR tier 1 rate manually -- but I guess it's progress.

Comment

• CharlieEscCA
            Solar Fanatic
            • Dec 2016

Silly question, but why would I want to buy this? Or by the Rainforest Eagle when it is released?
            8.6 kWp roof (SE 7600 and 28 panels)

Comment

• ccdengr
              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by CharlieEscCA
              Silly question, but why would I want to buy this? Or by the Rainforest Eagle when it is released?
              It tells you your net consumption/production if you like data. It's basically redundant with the Green Button data you can get from SDGE, but it's more timely and gives you real-time visibility into how much electricity you're using. I like to obsess about how much the A/C is costing when it's on.

Comment

• sensij
                Solar Fanatic
                • Sep 2014

I'm on the EV-TOU-2 plan, and can confirm that the pricing information is still omitted.
                eagle.JPG
                CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• CharlieEscCA
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by ccdengr
                  It tells you your net consumption/production if you like data. It's basically redundant with the Green Button data you can get from SDGE, but it's more timely and gives you real-time visibility into how much electricity you're using. I like to obsess about how much the A/C is costing when it's on.
                  Ok. I obsess too But I'm getting consumption from wattNode being picked up by SolarEdge and reported at their monitoring website. I guess you are getting real time from SDGE.

The past two days have been brutal on the consumption side. But, I got the solar to run the A/C more -- and it has been nice. But this A/C chewed through 106 kWh yesterday. Yikes!

Comment

• inspron
                    • Aug 2017

Good question, the main reason for me is that the basic EMU2 can be had for around $40. The Eagle isn't available below $100. Retail is around $149 I think.

I have OCD but not enough to spend $149.

Comment

• inspron
                      • Aug 2017

Ok. I obsess too But I'm getting consumption from wattNode being picked up by SolarEdge and reported at their monitoring website. I guess you are getting real time from SDGE.

The past two days have been brutal on the consumption side. But, I got the solar to run the A/C more -- and it has been nice. But this A/C chewed through 106 kWh yesterday. Yikes!
                      I take it you live in Escondido? Ouch. Down in San Diego, we used 25kwh average per day on AC thanks to a whole-house-fan I installed earlier this month. Around 7 when temp drops to 78 outside, I open all the doors, run the fan. Within minutes, my attic temp from 110 down to 80. 300watt vs 4kw AC.

Comment

• CharlieEscCA
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Dec 2016

My A/C is 6 kWh per hour. Thermostat set to 78. House is all vaulted ceilings, 24' in the tallest area. Twenty two windows are opened once temp drops. We have company this week, and very humid outside. Spouse frowned on opening windows the day 106 kWh were used. Still hoping to be at minimum bill com April 2018 true up. I sized this system several thousand kWh over annual use last year to allow for greater marital bliss

I have a nice credit built up from PTO late April -- this billing cycle will probably take about $150 of the $360 credit I'm at now. I suspect the Sept will hit the credit, Oct to be break, even or some credit, Nov a credit from the Oct peak TOU production over use. Then the rest of the bills until true up to be break even to some credit, but not at the great peak summer TOU credits one can bank until heavy A/C needs kick in.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2013

My A/C is 6 kWh per hour. Thermostat set to 78. House is all vaulted ceilings, 24' in the tallest area. Twenty two windows are opened once temp drops. We have company this week, and very humid outside. Spouse frowned on opening windows the day 106 kWh were used. Still hoping to be at minimum bill com April 2018 true up. I sized this system several thousand kWh over annual use last year to allow for greater marital bliss

I have a nice credit built up from PTO late April -- this billing cycle will probably take about $150 of the $360 credit I'm at now. I suspect the Sept will hit the credit, Oct to be break, even or some credit, Nov a credit from the Oct peak TOU production over use. Then the rest of the bills until true up to be break even to some credit, but not at the great peak summer TOU credits one can bank until heavy A/C needs kick in.
                          Charlie: NOMB, and this is far from a brag or a knock, but as I was scratching my best intentions, the thought occurred to me: Have you had your A/C checked ? I'm cooling 3,200 ft.^2 to 78 F, and night venting similar to you. Last 3 days outside ambient temps low/mid 90's high, upper 60's/low 70's low. My total use was 128 kWh for the Aug. 1,2,3, 83 kWh of which were for A/C and the nite time fan load ~ 12 kWh. The latent (condensing) load on the A/C has been quite a bit higher than usual as well, probably ~ same as yours. The 5 ton A/C draws 6 kW after startup surge of a few sec.. ~ 0.84 kw of that 6 kW is for air handling. It's ~ 12 years old, but for the 1,100 - 1,200 kWh/yr. it uses (at least up until this year), replacing it is not cost effective for as long as I'll be here.

Just sayin'.

Comment

• CharlieEscCA
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Dec 2016

I have not had it checked in many years, but it's the the original AC, and the house was built 30 years ago. I'm sure that I'm leaking a fair amount of air through some windows that don't shut entirely well (weird custom windows the owner made himself that are on my fix it list before I sell). The walls and ceilings are well insulated, but I'm looking at 3450 sq ft with very large volumes to cool. And the great room which is probably 24 x 30 with 12 foot high walls that then go to a 24' cathedral, and this room is cantilevered 12' high off the ground in the front with huge windows on all walls, and those spiral wired wrapped insulated ducts under the room to the front floor ducts -- all in all a tough house to cool not helped by air leaks.

If I was staying, and if my solar still wasn't big enough, I'd look into maybe a new A/C. But for now, I think I'm still going to be at the minimum bill (estimated production was 13900, and based on two full months in the books actuals vs monthly estimates, and last year use was 10000 kWh), so unless this A/C dies before I sell, it's staying.

No knock taken.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

I have not had it checked in many years, but it's the the original AC, and the house was built 30 years ago. I'm sure that I'm leaking a fair amount of air through some windows that don't shut entirely well (weird custom windows the owner made himself that are on my fix it list before I sell). The walls and ceilings are well insulated, but I'm looking at 3450 sq ft with very large volumes to cool. And the great room which is probably 24 x 30 with 12 foot high walls that then go to a 24' cathedral, and this room is cantilevered 12' high off the ground in the front with huge windows on all walls, and those spiral wired wrapped insulated ducts under the room to the front floor ducts -- all in all a tough house to cool not helped by air leaks.

If I was staying, and if my solar still wasn't big enough, I'd look into maybe a new A/C. But for now, I think I'm still going to be at the minimum bill (estimated production was 13900, and based on two full months in the books actuals vs monthly estimates, and last year use was 10000 kWh), so unless this A/C dies before I sell, it's staying.

No knock taken.
                              Thank you. I wasn't talking replacement, just ~~ $70-$80 or so to get the system checked out and add that to the asking price. On the other hand, if the if the system is that old, it may be working just fine to 30 year old standards. Another consideration: Being that old, it may well be an R-12 system. If so, and if the refrigerant is low, good luck finding any in the U.S. for less than a lot of $$, or a trip across the border. An alternate, R-134 (or R-134a, depending on who you talk to) is supposed to be an acceptable replacement, but I'd be careful who changed it out. Some connections may need changing as will any system lubricants and perhaps other system components. Unless someone is an HVAC tech, probably not a DIY project. Any refrigerant changeout may be expensive, but not as much as a new system. I'd still go for the inspection, but NOMB.

Comment

Working...