X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Value off components. When to stop.

So I'm trying to order my solar components in payback time, so I can decide where to stop.
    here's my current guestimate.

12 west panels, I should use a lot of the generated power,(used KW pays back 20 to 21p, to grid kWh 5.6p)

Solic 200 or equivalent(i already have a immersion tank so should pay for itself within the year)

East facing panels a lot more to grid.

Battery would convert to-grid kWh to used kwh

west Garage panels, shades but usage would require a 3+ input inverter

East garage panels even more shaded

Total maybe 9-10 KW 6k kWh per year.

Any advice welcomed
    Last edited by Marli; 07-19-2017, 06:49 PM.

What do you mean when you say "payback time" ?

Are you accounting for the 7 year depreciation the IRS requires?
    4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

If you hadnt guesd by my pricing, Im in the UK.

So at 5.6p /kwh would take 40years
      at 20p/kwh 8 years
      Last edited by Marli; 07-20-2017, 08:13 AM. Reason: My posts keep getting cut off

Comment

Is this to be a DIY install ?

Comment

No All install have to be professional to get the 5.6p generation fee.

Comment

solar is worse than a boat, even worse than crack cocaine. Once you start, you can never get enough. There is always a better panel, controller, monitor gizmo.....
            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
              solar is worse than a boat, even worse than crack cocaine. Once you start, you can never get enough. There is always a better panel, controller, monitor gizmo.....
              Kind of like high end audio stuff ?

Comment

Originally posted by Marli View Post
                So I'm trying to order my solar components in payback time, so I can decide where to stop.
                here's my current guestimate.

12 west panels, I should use a lot of the generated power,(used KW pays back 20 to 21p, to grid kWh 5.6p)

Solic 200 or equivalent(i already have a immersion tank so should pay for itself within the year)

East facing panels a lot more to grid.

Battery would convert to-grid kWh to used kwh
                What payback? You just eliminated any possible chance of payback with batteries.

Here is what you will be doing. It will cost you some 75-cents to $1 to generate 1 Kwh, and sell it back to the Power Company for 10 to 15 cents. You are giving money away. Tell you what, just forget the batteries and send me the check for what you would have spent on batteries. We will both be ticked pink.
                MSEE, PE

Comment

The way the UK system is set up a battery improved savings, so if I generated a kWh I didn't use it costs about 13p and makes me 5.6p, if I can store the kWh and use it it saves me 13-15p

Comment

The way the UK system is set up a battery improved savings, so if I generated a kWh I didn't use it costs about 13p and makes me 5.6p, if I can store the kWh and use it it saves me 13-15p
                    What Sunking is saying that the cost to generate a kWh from a battery will be in the 100p range. Which is much more than what you will be paid if you sell back to your POCO.

Comment

Ok in the UK things are different. Officially I get paid 4p per kwh by the' POCO'
                      but they don't measure it. They just take your generation and assume 50%
                      So that effectively is a 2p per kwh generation on top off the real 4.6p generation payment.

So the real money is made from negating paying for electric from the grid.

Which means batteries have more value than panels at a certain point.
                      As long as they cost less than 13p per kwh transferred though them they are worth it.

​​
                      US try to generate what you use.
                      UK try to use what you generate.

Comment

Ok had a quote for 6.5kwh battery for

Comment

Marli you are not getting it. Those batteries cost you real money. When you factor in how many watt hours you get out of those batteries in their life cycle cost you 5 to 10 times more than just buying the power. In other words something like 10p to generate the power, and you sell it for 1 to 2p. You are giving it away and loosing money. Math does not change depending on which side of the pond you live on.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

Damn forum is screwwed up keeps cutting off my posts

Comment

Damn forum is screwwed up keeps cutting off my posts
                              Hi Marli,
                              Yeah any quotation marks or other characters have neem doing that since the last uograde. Its a real pain.

i think I understand your general point: Are you trying to say that recharging your batteries (at best case) you consider free since you are using above 50% of your panel generation.
                              When you use the energy from the battery later, you are avoiding paying 13-15p per kwh from the battery.
                              Are they giving you an additional 2p kwh for the battery?

>>> As long as they cost less than 13p per kwh transferred though them they are worth it.
                              Yes, this is also the point from Suneagle/Sunking. It wont be less than 13p/kwh
                              How much will the battery cost? How many total kwh are you expecting to get from it before you have to replace it (this is the key).

Comment

Working...
                              X