X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Total newb. Invertor too small.

solar.jpg 8/1 KW System.

Solaredge SE6000 Invertor. I understand it is normal to undersize Invertors but is mine too small? AM I losing production? Lots of Sunny cloudless days here in AZ. My production from about 11 to 2 is flatlined at 6KW. ANd this is with 1 Panel currently OOS that will be fixed next week,
    Should I ask for a larger Invertor? System has only been operating 7 days.

Thanks
    Last edited by Nosnarb; 07-19-2017, 02:24 PM.

Originally posted by Nosnarb View Post
    solar.jpg 8/1 KW System.

Solaredge SE6000 Invertor. I understand it is normal to undersize Invertors but is mine too small? AM I losing production? Lots of Sunny cloudless days here in AZ. My production from about 11 to 2 is flatlined at 6KW. ANd this is with 1 Panel currently OOS that will be fixed next week,
    Should I ask for a larger Invertor? System has only been operating 7 days.

Thanks
    How many / what brand / type panels you have? What is array configuration?

Comment

well yes. You are right at the limit for what you can put on an SE6000A without voiding the warranty which is 8.1kW.

The only reason to put in an SE6000A instead of the SE7600A is to save a little on the interconnect. What size is your MSP? (service panel).
      OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Main service panel is 200A I believe. House is new construction. Ill have to verify when I get home.

Comment

Originally posted by max2k View Post

How many / what brand / type panels you have? What is array configuration?
          25 Panasonic 330 watt. Array configuration? 20 facing South 5 facing North if that is what you mean.

Comment

25 Panasonic 330 watt. Array configuration? 20 facing South 5 facing North if that is what you mean.
            OK you are OVER the limit for the SE6000A. it is allowed MAX PV connected to it is 8.1kw and you have 8.25kw
            That voids the warranty according to SolarEdge.

Also with a 200a MSP there is ZERO reason to not put in the SE7600A.

Comment

...and the 7600 only cost $180 more than the 6000.

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

OK you are OVER the limit for the SE6000A. it is allowed MAX PV connected to it is 8.1kw and you have 8.25kw
                That voids the warranty according to SolarEdge.

Also with a 200a MSP there is ZERO reason to not put in the SE7600A.
                I need to Clarify. I have 25x Panasonic N325 325 Watt Pamels for 8.125kw system. It looks like it is still over the 8100 Solaredge limit. Do you agree?

Comment

I need to Clarify. I have 25x Panasonic N325 325 Watt Pamels for 8.125kw system. It looks like it is still over the 8100 Solaredge limit. Do you agree?
                  Yes. I dropped the 1 but still over the limit..

Comment

Yes. I dropped the 1 but still over the limit..
                    Would the orientation matter- 20 panels are facing one direction while 5 others- completely opposite. Not sure why North direction seemed 'interesting' but nonetheless OP max power would be defined by 20 South facing panels which should produce 20x325 = 6,500W. Shold the the inverter convert that or it clips at 6,000W sharp but can 'tolerate' up to 8,000W not really converting 'upper' 2,000 W? The graph is very indicative of the clipping if I understand it correctly.

Comment

The inverters can't tell the flash rating of the connected panels; only the actual power actually
                      available at any time. If you can guarantee the ACTUAL power meets requirements, the
                      system will be OK. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
                        The inverters can't tell the flash rating of the connected panels; only the actual power actually
                        available at any time. If you can guarantee the ACTUAL power meets requirements, the
                        As Butch has said, Solaredge limits warranty support to only systems with a DC rating of up to 135% of the inverters rating. Yes, 5 north panels will contribute less to the peak than if all were south facing, but there is no reason to play games with decimal points. The 7600W inverter can be installed anywhere the 6000W can for a very small increase in price.

Whether or not the amount lost to clipping here is enough to worry about isn't clear, but clipping in the full heat of the summer is a good indication that a percent or more could be lost over the year.

At what tilt are the panels?
                        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
                          The system might be ok but will have a voided warranty..... Unless Bruce is going to cover it?

Comment

Originally posted by max2k View Post

Would the orientation matter- 20 panels are facing one direction while 5 others- completely opposite. Not sure why North direction seemed 'interesting' but nonetheless OP max power would be defined by 20 South facing panels which should produce 20x325 = 6,500W. Shold the the inverter convert that or it clips at 6,000W sharp but can 'tolerate' up to 8,000W not really converting 'upper' 2,000 W? The graph is very indicative of the clipping if I understand it correctly.
                            NOPE. Solaredge has a hard limit on the DC modules connected to the inverters for warranty claims.
                            They wouldn't care if the modules are mounted upside down, the warranty is still voided.

As for the clipping, yes you have clipping. The amount is hard to tell. You could do a model in Aurora and find out pretty easily.

Actually if you want I will model it, send me the address rdeal @ geostellar.com
                            I will model it both with SE6000A and SE7600A
                            Last edited by ButchDeal; 07-20-2017, 09:33 AM.

Comment

The system might be ok but will have a voided warranty..... Unless Bruce is going to cover it?
                              Only things covered are at my house, where everything is modified and nothing is under
                              warrantee. Generally a failure causes the item to be redesigned to prevent a repeat of that
                              failure. Guess you could hook up the last panels after the warrantee expires. Bruce Roe

Comment

Working...
                              X