Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are the top 5 things you should look out for when getting a solar panel system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the top 5 things you should look out for when getting a solar panel system?

Any insights would be appreciated!

Look out for/keep in mind:

1.) The main goal is a lower electric bill, not PV for its own sake. Lowering your bill by lowering your use will result in the most benefit for the planet.
    2.) Residential PV systems are one way of meeting goal #1, but do not decrease usage.
    3.) Residential PV systems are the least cost effective of all those ways lower an electric bill.
    4.) Using less electricity is the most cost effective way to lower an electric bill.
    5.) Download and read "Solar Power Your Home for Dummies", free on the net or ~ $25 at bookstores/Amazon for an updated hardcopy.

Then:

6.) Get your annual usage from your POwer COmpany (POCO) and the tariffs that are used to bill you. Understand how they work.
    7.) Download and run PVWatts after you read the help/info screens a couple of times.
    8.) Size the system you might want after conservation efforts reduce your load as your lifestyle and preferences allow. Remember that a 100% or greater bill offset may not be the most cost effective.
    9.) Know what you want and why before calling solar vendors. Do not rely on vendors or those with skin in the game for answers. Know the answers to your questions before you ask them. You'll learn twice. One for the answer to the question. Second, what the vendor (doesn't) know and tries to B.S. their way through when you ask them the question.
    10.) Use only established electrical contractors who have been around at least 10 years and sold PV for at least 5.
    11.) Never lease.
    12.) Don't use Sunpower unless you want to overpay for equal performance that's available from other quality equipment for ~ 20 % or so less upfront $$.

13.) After the first 5 above points, come back here and ask questions to fill in any knowledge gaps.

Welcome to the neighborhood and the forum of few(er) illusions.
    Last edited by J.P.M.; 07-03-2017, 04:02 PM.

Comment

We have a SPAMMER JPM. Do not help him. We nuked him on another professional forum.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Nuke asap!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
          We have a SPAMMER JPM. Do not help him. We nuked him on another professional forum.
          Thanks. Proof for example of what I say that none of us is as smart as all of us. My ignorance is showing, but the advice may still have some value. Forward.
          Last edited by J.P.M.; 07-03-2017, 08:25 PM.

Comment

1.) The main goal is a lower electric bill, not PV for its own sake. Lowering your bill by lowering your use will result in the most benefit for the planet.
            2.) Residential PV systems are one way of meeting goal #1, but do not decrease usage.
            3.) Residential PV systems are the least cost effective of all those ways lower an electric bill.
            4.) Using less electricity is the most cost effective way to lower an electric bill.
            5.) Download and read "Solar Power Your Home for Dummies", free on the net or ~ $25 at bookstores/Amazon for an updated hardcopy.
            These sound great from the perspective of someone who has never been on solar power.

A huge rude awakening for us after we made the shift has been that once our battery-bank is full each morning, the rest of the day's power goes to waste. We consume way more power now that we are on solar, than we did before on grid. My wife bought a dishwasher simply because we have too much power.

Not only does solar give you independence from the PoCo and much more reliable power, but it may lead you to consuming more. Not less.

... 6.) Get your annual usage from your POwer COmpany (POCO) and the tariffs that are used to bill you. Understand how they work.
            7.) Download and run PVWatts after you read the help/info screens a couple of times.
            8.) Size the system you might want after conservation efforts reduce your load as your lifestyle and preferences allow. Remember that a 100% or greater bill offset may not be the most cost effective.
            9.) Know what you want and why before calling solar vendors. Do not rely on vendors or those with skin in the game for answers. Know the answers to your questions before you ask them. You'll learn twice. One for the answer to the question. Second, what the vendor (doesn't) know and tries to B.S. their way through when you ask them the question.
            10.) Use only established electrical contractors who have been around at least 10 years and sold PV for at least 5.
            11.) Never lease.
            12.) Don't use Sunpower unless you want to overpay for equal performance that's available from other quality equipment for ~ 20 % or so less upfront $$.

13.) After the first 5 above points, come back here and ask questions to fill in any knowledge gaps.

Welcome to the neighborhood and the forum of few(er) illusions.
            These have the same problems as the first group had.

4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

Originally posted by organic farmer View Post

These sound great from the perspective of someone who has never been on solar power.

A huge rude awakening for us after we made the shift has been that once our battery-bank is full each morning, the rest of the day's power goes to waste. We consume way more power now that we are on solar, than we did before on grid. My wife bought a dishwasher simply because we have too much power.

Not only does solar give you independence from the PoCo and much more reliable power, but it may lead you to consuming more. Not less.

Actually JPM has a solar pv system.

Comment

Originally posted by organic farmer View Post

I've got a lot of serious respect for you, especially as you're a retired Dolphin, but I've formed an opinion about part of your approach to the world that makes me think you believe the rest of the world lives out in the boonies with power that sounds quite unreliable. If that floats your boat I'm a fan and I support ~ 110 %. But, I gotta' tell you, most of the U.S. doesn't live like you live.

As for your implication that I've never been on "solar power" as you call it, I'll refer you to my prior 8,660+ posts which describe, in part, my experiences with not only solar energy but also practical and life experiences with energy retrofits, appropriate technology and sensible living.

Without trying to be rude, I've probably forgot more about solar energy, and it's practical and theoretical aspects than you'll know for some time, not only from having lived with it day in/out since the mid ''70's, but also from a lot of formal engineering reeducation and acquisition of a license as a mechanical engineer proficient in both power and structural engineering. One thing I learned was that off grid living, while something I can do, isn't for me because I don't want to pay the price either in toil or treasure. Besides, my power, like most everyone else's in the U.S (with the exception of some parts of Maine it seems) is reasonably reliable. Mine's gone out twice in 9+ years in this home. FWIW, I think you're getting screwed on reliability, but NOMB.

How much power you, I or anyone consumes is their own business. Folks seem to show up here screaming about high energy bills and some of us try to throw a rope around them before they run off and do something stupid like getting oversized and overpriced PV systems. Most of the time we fail. They get PV, usually oversized and overpriced with the end result they wind up spending more long term $$ on long term supply of their electrical load than if they did nothing in the way of PV - The higher cost being masked by what amounts to prepaying (at a higher price) for electricity that the PV system produces.

I'm very aware, and have mentioned more than a few times (you can look it up) around here about how energy use goes up once the disincentive of high bills is mitigated by PV. Human nature at work and a no brainer with a little thought. PV enabled neighbors who allow me to monitor their energy production confirm that. Anecdotally, their use seems to go up something like 10% after PV goes in. A blinding flash of the obvious as to why, and another (ironic) reason why R.E. will have a harder time keeping its promise of reducing energy use. My guess is that PV will reduce bills for awhile, but usage will creep up over time until the pain of the $$ outflow reaches something like the pre solar bill pain.

My understanding is that PV, as most of the U.S. uses it, is grid tied. To the degree that's true it does little for independence from the POCO - it just lowers the bill for awhile. Otherwise, while pretty reliable, PV is still not quite up to the reliability of most POCO power - again, some parts of Maine being perhaps one exception.

As for problems with what I posted, even though na

Comment

Working...
                X