Need to clean MC4 connector? Spider webs, bugs, inside

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need to clean MC4 connector? Spider webs, bugs, inside

I have slowly working my ground mounted solar system and have an unsual problem. I my solar panels mounted, but the mc4 unconnected.

I have found spiders and bugs love living inside the tiny mc4 connectors. Alot of connectors are now completely white innside with spider webs and other with dead bugs, etc.

I tried to kill the pests and clear comb webs but its hard to clean up completely. I am worried a layer of cobwebs and bugs with cause electrical flow issues.

Any suggestion on this issue? Should try soaking the connecotrs in water to clean them out?

As I have advised before, MC4s should never be left exposed to the elements. They are not precious metal
    contacts, and a little corrosion ruins them. Panels should be kept shorted till hooked up.

I suppose you could try some kind of contact cleaner, this before panels are connected together and put
    out significant voltage. I have had some so bad they couldn't be connected, those are finished. If they
    mate less than easily, I'd check them for heating up on maximum output. If they do, replace them (at
    night) before they get worse and generate smoke. Bruce Roe

Comment

will a VCR head cleaning swab fit in there ?
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Or a can of compressed air?

Comment

Working...
        X