X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BFW577
    • Mar 2017

New install. 270 watt panels putting out 390 watts briefly?

I am about 2 weeks in running my new 5.4 kwh system. I have a solar edge se5000 inverter with 20 Canadian solar CS6k-270 panels with solar edge optimizers.

Using the monitoring software and looking back at some of that data I saw the panels producing way more power than they are rated for a few times. I though it was just a glitch put I showed up quite a few times. Can panels produce almost 100 watts more than they are rated for? My panels are facing south/southwest and get full sun from about 11 am on. I would assume the inverter clips the power back as the display shows the max being set to 5.5 kw?
    Capture.PNG
    Attached Files
    Last edited by BFW577; 05-23-2017, 08:07 AM.
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

you have a 5.4kW system (not kwH).

If this is some of the early days of the inverter, and the inverter is being turned on and off or getting updates from SolarEdge, then the timing can be off a bit.
    The optimizers report their production on regular basis and if the timing is changing (actual time sync on inverter) then the optimizers might have a window that is actually longer than regular windows squeeing the production numbers up. It looks like this happened on the first full day of production.

Cloud edge effect can show higher production but not usually as high as you are talking about.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• emartin00
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

I would say it's normal to see slightly higher values on occasion, but certainly not 100+ Watts.
      I would give SE a call and ask them to look into it. It's probably some programming glitch.

Comment

• sensij
        Solar Fanatic
        • Sep 2014

I doubt SolarEdge will have much to say about it. I agree with ButchDeal, looks like an artifact of timing in the data. If you go to the reports screen you can export what each optimizer sent; with full timestamped voltage and current telemetry, it should be clearer. Do you still have snow or other source of high albedo?

If you really care about accurate inverter data, you would need to add a revenue grade meter.
        Last edited by sensij; 05-23-2017, 09:18 AM.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• BFW577
          • Mar 2017

​​​​Thanks everyone. I believe it is probably bad data. The first day or so the ap and online monitoring seemed sluggish and slow to update. That was the first full day the system was on.

I think I do have a revenue grade meter installed. There is a locus energy meter wired off the inverter. It displays the current wattage being sent out and total kwhs. It matches up pretty close to the inverter. I would assume it's more accurate then the inverter. The inverter seems to run slightly higher than what it displays.

My installer said it was a requirement from the CT green bank who gave me a few thousand dollar incentive for the panels. He said it sends my production data to them over cellular data.

I also have a net meter that's pretty easy to read. The power company gave me paperwork ok how to read it. It has an arrow pointing the power flow and flashes how much kwh I sent out and received.

Here is a few pictures.
          20170519_173254-1632x1224.jpg
          20170520_105636-1632x1224.jpg20170518_164520-1632x1224.jpg

Comment

• bcroe
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by BFW577
            I believe it is probably bad data. The first day or so the ap and online monitoring seemed sluggish and slow to update. That was the first full day the system was on.

I think I do have a revenue grade meter installed. There is a locus energy meter wired off the inverter. It displays the current wattage being sent out and total kwhs. It matches up pretty close to the inverter. I would assume it's more accurate then the inverter. The inverter seems to run slightly higher than what it displays.

I also have a net meter that's pretty easy to read. The power company gave me paperwork ok how to read it. It has an arrow pointing the power flow and flashes how much kwh I sent out and received.
            My 7500W inverters typically run most of a sunny day at 7600W output, in clipping. My PoCo gave me nothing
            about reading the net meter, and the statement was very irregular as well. I have figured out my consumption
            at night, but apparently nothing is displayed on daytime production. The long term plan is to install an old disc
            revenue meter to keep track . Bruce Roe

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by BFW577
              Can panels produce almost 100 watts more than they are rated for?
              No way. You have some calibration issue. It is a very rare event you ever see them producing rated power. Typically on cold days at solar noon you might see 90% rated power for a few precious minutes around noon.

Only time you see more than spec is a very special event like Cloud Knife Edge Effect, or on very cold days with a lot of snow and ice reflecting light into the panels. But never ever 100 watts or 30% +
              Last edited by Sunking; 05-23-2017, 09:44 PM.
              MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...