Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you claim the cost of a service panel upgrade as part of the tax incentive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you claim the cost of a service panel upgrade as part of the tax incentive?

We have a 7.28kw system at the moment, I'm considering upgrading the system using the same contractor. At the same time, I'm considering upgrading my service panel to a 200amp from 100amp. Can that cost be added to the total tax incentive if all the work is done by the same contractor under a single work order?

generally yes if it is required for the system to work, to be claimed as site prep work.
    It doesn't matter if it is the same contractor on the same work order or not though.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

It does sound like it meets the criteria but only your tax advisor has the opinion that counts. It might be worth documenting the estimated cost of line sized tap versus the upgraded panel and throw that in your files on the project. I expect that will establish a good faith reason for the upgrade so on the extremely rare chance you are sitting across the desk from an IRS auditor, you can show that the upgrade cost was roughly equivalent to the cost for line sized tap. If there is a substantial increase in cost for the upgrade then that's where it gets sticky.

Comment

Can you claim the tax credit on a system upgrade? I thought it was only for the initial install. Maybe that's just the state incentive I'm thinking of though.

Comment

Working...
        X