X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Monitoring for my 12kW System -

Hi All,
    My install is about to start on a 12kW system here in sunny Orlando. (41X Canadian Solar 295W Mono panels, and 2x SMA 6.0 Inverters). I have looked around the forum to search for a suitable monitoring setup. I have read about Wattnode , TED Home Pro, Sense and CURB.

In my case, I have 2 panels to monitor. Main Outside Panels has 2x ACs, pool and then the Busbar is connected to the Sub panel. Sub panel will be getting 2x 30A breakers from the 2x Inverters. Subpanel also has other loads I would like to monitor e.g. Washer, Dryer, Air handlers, Oven, EV Charger etc.

What would be a reasonable solution with good data logging and accessibility w/o breaking the bank. Wattnode seemed like a good solution but will it integrate with my newer SMA sb 6.0-1sp-us-40 Inverters ?

Any help is greatly appriciated.

Also, if any pros here have an opinion about new SMA/Tigo Power+ solution please share your wisdom. A couple of my panels will see shading very early in the morning and late afternoon. I am thinking 3 ~ 5 panels in the morning and 4 Panels in the afternoon. Should I put TS4R-O optimizers ? or keep the whole system simple.
    12.1 kW Canadian Solar 295W ;SMA SB-6.0-1SP-US-40

I'm not sure anything will truly "integrate" with those inverters. Even SMA's solution only lists up to the SB 5.0 on the data sheet, although I don't understand why it wouldn't work with the whole product line. I have generally found it easier to stick with meters that talk to PVOutput, and use that as the data portal.

As for the Tigo's, I'd wait to wait what your actual energy production is without them. I have a hard time seeing how the additional energy they would produce would justify the cost (and complication), especially if your shade is only at the beginning and end of the day. I'm sure for some arrangements with mid-day shade they are worth it.

CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post
      I'm not sure anything will truly "integrate" with those inverters. Even SMA's solution only lists up to the SB 5.0 on the data sheet, although I don't understand why it wouldn't work with the whole product line. I have generally found it easier to stick with meters that talk to PVOutput, and use that as the data portal.

As for the Tigo's, I'd wait to wait what your actual energy production is without them. I have a hard time seeing how the additional energy they would produce would justify the cost (and complication), especially if your shade is only at the beginning and end of the day. I'm sure for some arrangements with mid-day shade they are worth it.

Thanks Sensij, hows your install coming along.

I looked at TED / CURB and both solutions were running close to $800. Is there another reasonable alternative ?

Comment

That is a lot of channels to monitor. eGauge would do it, but you are still going to be over $600. You might want to look a Smappee... it is supposed to be decent at recognizing appliances by their load signature, so you don't actually need to monitor those circuits directly. Some forum users reported good results when it first came out.. . you might find the thread if you look for it. I'm not sure it has the ability to handle both of your PV sources if you want to monitor them individually, but the "solar" system comes with 6 CT's for $350, so it might be worth digging into.

On my roof, I've got all the attachments in and the rails up, so now it is time to start wiring optimizers. I had been wrestling with options for the junction box from PV to THHN, but came across the Wiley ACE-2P in another thread, and just ordered one yesterday.
        Last edited by sensij; 05-18-2017, 12:29 PM.
        CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by aleenoor View Post
          I looked at TED / CURB and both solutions were running close to $800. Is there another reasonable alternative ?
          If you're looking for just a few things being monitored, TED5004G gives you 4 CTs for ~$420

It's a bit older model but still works well IMO.

Comment

eGauge is turning out to be even more expensive. Any feedback on SMA power+ / Tigo ?

Comment

Working...
            X