X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar /mppt

Hey... I have 600 watt solar n I connect them in 2set in series (3each n 3each in series ) n I just got tristar ts-rm-2 for my morning start Mppt 60a

my ? is Wen I look at the screen it says 900 watts coming down from my solar n 60A n counting n am using a 12v system with 4 6v battery at 450ah

? is the Mppt says 12v at 800watt but am getting 900 watt now from my Mppt bUT I only have 600 watt solar ? is it OK how's going or will it burn my Mppt? or am doing sumthing wrong...

thx

Did you first connect the battery system to your morning star CC? For the CC to work correctly it needs to know the battery voltage and then you connect the panels to the CC.

With a 12volt battery that CC can produce up to 50A of charging with 600 watts of panels but will usually be less so I am not sure how it can generate 60A unless those panels total more than 600W.

Comment

No your equipment metering is not accurate. As Sun Eagle suggest did you connect the battery before the panels?

At most a 600 watt panel array can only generate 600 watts / 12 volts = 50 amps, and you will rarely if ever see 50 amps. Only way to really tell what is going on is with a good DVM and Clamp-On Amp Meter. No worries about burning anything up, your controller metering just sucks and is not accurate.
      MSEE, PE

Comment

Yea I connect it to battery system 1st. den I connect th he panels next . .
        I just got this ts-rm-2 n am confess

at 6p.m it says I got 1350 watt and 91.5 ah lolz which is crazy gud but I know there sumthing odd
        see pic blow I think am read it wrong
        Attached Files

Comment

I think you need to learn the difference between watts (W), a unit of power; and Watt-hour (Wh), a unit of energy. Same difference applies to amps and amp-hours.
          CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

I agree with sensij.

You could not have generated 1350 watts. You may have generated 1350 watt hours by 6 PM. And that 91.5Ah at 6 pm was the total amps generated over 18 hours (12 Midnight to 6 PM).

Also that second picture shows 14.7 volts, 274 watts, 920 watt-hours and the battery is in Absorb stage.
            Last edited by SunEagle; 05-18-2017, 02:25 PM. Reason: added last sentence.

Comment

So how can I tell how many watts am getting from my solar panels ? I know is sumthing odd that's y am asking do u have a video showing how to understand this ts-rm-2.if u know any ..

Comment

Originally posted by AranM0n3y88 View Post
                So how can I tell how many watts am getting from my solar panels ? I know is sumthing odd that's y am asking do u have a video showing how to understand this ts-rm-2.if u know any ..
                Well if you look at the meter it did say 274 watts which you can confirm by multiplying the 14.7 volts x 18.7 amps = 275watts. So at that time that is what your battery was taking in under the Absorb charge and pretty much what your panels were putting out.

The only other way would be to measure the voltage and amps going to the charge controller. You will need a voltmeter and clamp on DC amp meter for that.
                Last edited by SunEagle; 05-18-2017, 03:35 PM. Reason: added last sentence

Comment

http://2n1s7w3qw84d2ysnx3ia2bct.wpen...r-2-Manual.pdf

Comment

Ok got it thxz I understand it now

last ? let say my battery r full n I got 600watt panels will it give me 600 watt or it will give me less Cuz the battery is full

it says I got 14.7volt n 275 watt n 18.75amps Cuz of my battery is full right? n let say is 12.6v will my watt n amps increase ?

hopefully u understand wat I mean

Comment

If your battery is full and you do not have any other load then the CC should reduce the amount of amps going into the battery which calculates to not using the full wattage of your panels.

Now if you had other loads then some of the panel wattage would go to charging the battery and some wattage would go to powering your DC load.

Comment

I c on this ts-rm 2 doesn't tell u how many watts or amps u using doing night time it just tell u the battery volts only but guess that work to ...

p.s. Thxz sun eagle for the info.. n 4 ur time

Comment

Originally posted by AranM0n3y88 View Post
                          I c on this ts-rm 2 doesn't tell u how many watts or amps u using doing night time it just tell u the battery volts only but guess that work to ...

p.s. Thxz sun eagle for the info.. n 4 ur time
                          You are welcome.

A bit of advice is to get your own meters (DC volt & amp meter or a "kill a watt" meter for AC loads). I would not necessarily trust the ones built into a CC to determine your watt hour usage.

Comment

Working...
                          X