X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving - Take System with?

Hello All
    Im considering relocating my existing 6kw ground mount system from FTWorth to West Austin in Texas.
    I installed the system myself as a pre-configured system back in 2009
    30x 205w kyocera panels, 1- XW6048 battery backed inverter and 2- Controllers
    The rack system is adjustable tilt bolted to concrete beams in the ground. I would let the ivy cover over the concrete.

We are selling our custom home but since we over built its size its taking now 2yrs to sell.
    My question is since we are loosing money on the home original building cost should I just packup the solar system and move and reinstall.
    7617-solar.png
    Cost back in 2008 was around $40K as panels were $900 a unit and not they are $200.
    We do want to have solar pv at the new home which would be a perfect sizing fit.
    I also would not need to buy another system if I move this
    Realtors are not giving me feedback if having a solar pv is good for the home sale or just fluff like a pool.
    Moving the system is my own time and labor which Im not worried about.
    I would just need to have an electrician and local grid provider sign off at the new home before power up.
    Thoughts?

Everything you have said so far makes it sound like you should move it to the new place. I doubt it's adding any real value to the sale and it's not worth much used to anyone else but you.
    Dave W. Gilbert AZ
    6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

If you have rather expensive battery backup equipment that you need, it might be worth moving. For
      a simple grid tie, you could get better equipment for a small fraction of the cost, new. Bruce Roe

Comment

I agree with Bruce.

If your equipment is the expensive hybrid type then you should move it to the new home.

If you are just going to go with a grid tie system now might be the time to get a new pv system with up to date equipment and sell off the old hardware or use some of the panels for an off grid system.

Comment

The system is the nicer hybrid XW6048
          I just put in new trojan batteries in the winter but I didnt go crazy on them at the time as I thought I would leave them.
          To buy another 6K system with basic inverter will probably run me another 15-20K and why spend that again.
          If this were on the roof..I would leave it but my roof slope is 45' and west-north-west so I put on ground and control the tilt with adjustable legs.
          Think I know where this is going...."With us"

Comment

Originally posted by TexasSun View Post
            The system is the nicer hybrid XW6048
            I just put in new trojan batteries in the winter but I didnt go crazy on them at the time as I thought I would leave them.
            To buy another 6K system with basic inverter will probably run me another 15-20K and why spend that again.
            If this were on the roof..I would leave it but my roof slope is 45' and west-north-west so I put on ground and control the tilt with adjustable legs.
            Think I know where this is going...."With us"
            That sounds like a good plan. Seems like your investment should tag along to your new home.

Comment

Will the Tear-Down, pack, ship, reinstall cost less then buying new and a fresh install ?
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                Will the Tear-Down, pack, ship, reinstall cost less then buying new and a fresh install ?
                I will do on my own time. Panels will all come down in a day and stacked with cardboard between each. Rack system and brackets and electrical. I will pull out the copper lines from conduit and cut the pipes to below grade and cap. When I received the system it was on 2 pallets. I will have movers just re-stack and strap down in the truck for transport with our household goods. New Site, we are not sure if we will ground rack or place on a possible new building workshop for me. Either way its mostly my time. Of course it will be inspected and signed off by local grid and ERCOT. here in Texas. As a side note I will also look at options for heavy batteries as the area does experience local power outages from storms plus If Im making more power than we consume we would like to store it for after hours support on some items.

Comment

Originally posted by hurricanedrunk
                  selling your old home along with the panels can be the right choice for you. But if you want to move them you should hire a moving company ....- this company helped us in moving from boston to florida our stuff and solar panels. But it was expensive.
                  website removed and poster banned

spam
                  Last edited by SunEagle; 02-18-2022, 11:51 AM. Reason: removed website

Comment

Working...
                  X