X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BFW577
    • Mar 2017

Using a drone to analyze shading issues.

My 5.4 kwh system is up and running. Took the drone up for an aerial shot and realized its a great tool to show shading issues. Though I don't have much for shading issues I thought I would share the picture. This was taken just before sunset and my panels are facing SW at 230 degrees. solar.JPG
  • organic farmer
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2013

Not exactly facing South?

When we were designing our house, we were under the impression that it was extremely important to determine exact South and face everything in that direction.

Now years later, it seems that nobody pays any attention.

Nice photo
    4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by organic farmer
      When we were designing our house, we were under the impression
      that it was extremely important to determine exact South and face everything in that direction.

If it was critical, my setup would be in trouble. My lot lines aren't squared, and the installer didn't try very hard
      to get perfect alignment (as is obvious on the satellite view. However I have found the iron stakes and that
      won't be repeated. Bruce Roe

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

When we were designing our house, we were under the impression that it was extremely important to determine exact South and face everything in that direction.

Nice photo
        Well it is important to determine true south, and best production rates/$$ invested is usually equator facing, but absolute equator facing is not, nor ever never was, cast in stone. Lots of modifiers from application to latitude and other stuff like T.O.U. rates/tariffs etc. will make a bit off south about as useful or maybe more so. Seems today most folks can't even tell you which way is south, which may be why no one pays much attention any more.

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Location and time when the photo was snapped will be needed.

Comment

• BFW577
            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by J.P.M.
            Location and time when the photo was snapped will be needed.
            It was taken around midnight facing due southwest.... My free panels were producing so much power from the moon it was crazy.

Last edited by BFW577; 05-13-2017, 10:11 PM.

Comment

• bcroe
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by BFW577

It was taken around midnight facing due southwest.... My free panels were producing so much power from the moon it was crazy.
              We actually ran that experiment years ago, but with different results. Bruce Roe

Comment

• BFW577
                • Mar 2017

[QUOTE=J.P.M.;n349867]Location and time when the photo was snapped will be needed.[/QUOTEI

In CT around 7 pm.

Attached Files

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

[QUOTE=BFW577;n349883]
                  Location and time when the photo was snapped will be needed.[/QUOTEI

In CT around 7 pm.
                  It is indeed a lovely photo, but for any quantitative use, more information is necessary. For example, the date will also be needed. Roof slope also. Butch Deal is probably better equipped to comment than I am.

Comment

• ButchDeal
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Apr 2014

[QUOTE=J.P.M.;n349893]
                    Originally posted by BFW577

It is indeed a lovely photo, but for any quantitative use, more information is necessary. For example, the date will also be needed. Roof slope also. Butch Deal is probably better equipped to comment than I am.
                    We have been able to use drone photos to help with obstructions. But as pointed out drone photos like this are nearly useless alone. We have seen drones that take directed LiDAR which is very useful but very expensive. Aurora can do far more with its imagery and models than plane drone photos. But drone photo with aurora can help with obstructions. We prefer people to actually measure the locations of the obstructions though
                    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• J.P.M.
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Aug 2013

[QUOTE=ButchDeal;n349897]

We have been able to use drone photos to help with obstructions. But as pointed out drone photos like this are nearly useless alone. We have seen drones that take directed LiDAR which is very useful but very expensive. Aurora can do far more with its imagery and models than plane drone photos. But drone photo with aurora can help with obstructions. We prefer people to actually measure the locations of the obstructions though
                      Thank you. I seem to remember your outfit has some experience and info in such matters.

Comment

• sdold
                        • Jun 2014

I agree, shouldn't the house be rotated to face due south, before panel installation?

Comment

• jflorey2
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Aug 2015

Originally posted by sdold
                          I agree, shouldn't the house be rotated to face due south, before panel installation?
                          But slowly, lest you make people dizzy or plaster them to the walls.

Out here, southwest is actually the preferred orientation due to time-of-use pricing and June gloom (which burns off by 11am.)

Comment

• ButchDeal
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by jflorey2
                            But slowly, lest you make people dizzy or plaster them to the walls.

Out here, southwest is actually the preferred orientation due to time-of-use pricing and June gloom (which burns off by 11am.)
                            We had an install in southern CA with a homeowner how "knew solar" and "worked in the field (of solar)". He insisted that we install on the north side of his home because "the sun rises in the north and sets in the north in his latitude". I tried to explain the sun path and sent several 3D graphics explaining, when he cut me off one time explaining that he leaves his house as the sun is coming up in the morning and it shines in his window from the north...
                            Tried to explain that it then proceeds to head up and to the south but he wanted solar on the north side of his home. I said we can't do that, it would be terrible for our guarantee and he started yelling about how he couldn't believe all the installers are like me and can't understand how the sun rises and sets in the north around his house. He is just going to have to install it himself.

I just can't believe how this guy that I found out works in sales in utility scale solar can't understand, and how many installers has he had the same conversation with?
                            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• J.P.M.
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by ButchDeal

We had an install in southern CA with a homeowner how "knew solar" and "worked in the field (of solar)". He insisted that we install on the north side of his home because "the sun rises in the north and sets in the north in his latitude". I tried to explain the sun path and sent several 3D graphics explaining, when he cut me off one time explaining that he leaves his house as the sun is coming up in the morning and it shines in his window from the north...
                              Tried to explain that it then proceeds to head up and to the south but he wanted solar on the north side of his home. I said we can't do that, it would be terrible for our guarantee and he started yelling about how he couldn't believe all the installers are like me and can't understand how the sun rises and sets in the north around his house. He is just going to have to install it himself.

I just can't believe how this guy that I found out works in sales in utility scale solar can't understand, and how many installers has he had the same conversation with?
                              While there's always divergence of opinions, some folks will always be found or crawl out from under a rock with their mind made up and no want or perceived need to be confused by the facts.

Aside from this place, I generally keep my mouth shut about R.E./solar because it seems everyone who ever read an article or got a pitch about solar is an instant expert who knows more than I do.

"Experts in the field" are often no better in my experience, sometimes knowing facts that may or may not be correct, but often lacking the knowledge to decipher the reality from the B.S. and seeing no need to question things. I absolutely believe your related experience. I may even know the guy, or at least someone in a similar place both mentally and employmentwise.
                              Last edited by J.P.M.; 05-15-2017, 07:17 PM.

Comment

Working...