X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tesla Solar Roof Quote System is Live

If anyone wants to play, you can enter a few bits of info and get your very expensive quote. Mine was $62,500 for a 20% of my roof to be solar. This assumes a current electricity bill of $165 per month. I have no idea what the actual output this roof would have though.

Here is the link: https://www.tesla.com/solarroof

So much for the Tesla solar roof being cheaper than a normal roof install. It appears they may be using tile and slate as their comparison and not an asphalt roof. Hardly anybody does slate or tile in Minnesota.

For $62,500 I could get a really good standing seam metal roof plus solar panels and possibly still have money left over.

Comment

70% Coverage on my 442sq.ft. of southern facing roof (ignoring shade) I was quoted $14,500 for the roof. net money EARNED over 30 years...yes it takes that long to make it pay for itself....$200. Add a battery, it becomes a loss of $4700. Yeah...not happening. Besides I want a metal roof, which isn't a tesla option, or at least not yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Laspher View Post
        70% Coverage on my 442sq.ft. of southern facing roof (ignoring shade) I was quoted $14,500 for the roof. net money EARNED over 30 years...yes it takes that long to make it pay for itself....$200. Add a battery, it becomes a loss of $4700. Yeah...not happening. Besides I want a metal roof, which isn't a tesla option, or at least not yet.
        $14,500 my butt. Until such equipment gets quoted as an installed price with an estimated annual output like other solar equipment, it's all H.S., and another example of Musk's shenanigans. Period.

Comment

oh, no kidding. I estimated for fun. I'm guessing it would cost 3x that, especially since my roof would quite possibly not support the weight of slate like roofing.

Comment

Still a SCAM
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Evidently they've installed at least one home so far: cleantechnica.com/2018/04/03/tesla-begins-rolling-out-solar-roof-tile-installations-in-california/
              Note the customer involved appears to be all-in on tesla; they sprang for the powerwall and have tesla cars, too.
              This is boutique stuff... they're trying to compete against very expensive roofs, not against normal ones, I suspect. For now.

Comment

Originally posted by DanKegel View Post
                Evidently they've installed at least one home so far: cleantechnica.com/2018/04/03/tesla-begins-rolling-out-solar-roof-tile-installations-in-california/
                Note the customer involved appears to be all-in on tesla; they sprang for the powerwall and have tesla cars, too.
                This is boutique stuff... they're trying to compete against very expensive roofs, not against normal ones, I suspect. For now.
                Get lost Dan and never come back you ***.
                Last edited by Mike90250; 04-05-2018, 11:13 AM. Reason: deleted word "Idiot"
                MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
                X