Interesting Reading Inside of SMUD's 2018 and 2019 Rate Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting Reading Inside of SMUD's 2018 and 2019 Rate Recommendations

So I was looking online and saw this quote: "A proposal to update the Net Energy Metering program for customers that install rooftop solar beginning Jan. 1, 2018, and to create a "grandfathered" transition period for current NEM customers."

Trying to figure out how the transition from "grandfathered" to new NEM rules might apply I found some other interesting tidbits.
    There was chart (attached) that shows how solar has modified TOU times here in Nor. CA. The CPCU concluded that "TOU peak periods currently in effect should be shifted later in the day." They also mentioned the solar has increased the availabilty of energy during the afternoon and decreased the load on the grid, resulting in the shift.

With this they are shifting to Time-of-Day (no more TOU with SMUD going forward) times forward one hour, from 4-7pm to 5-8pm.
    And I found the new NEM / Solar rules, my brief summary:

1. Existing Optional TOU will be renamed Time-of-Day (4-7) eff 7/1/17

2. This rate will be only for solar and PEV owners

3. If on NEM before 1/1/2018 and enrolled in residential Legacy or Time-of-Day (4-7) rate plan, customer may remain on either of them until 12/31/22. (Grandfathered)

4. If grandfathered customer on either plan elects the new Time-of-Day (5-8) or the New Fixed plan, they cannot return to the Legacy Fixed or older Time-of-Day plan (4-7).

5. Grandfathering ends on 1/1/23

6. New solar after 1/1/18 will no longer have a fixed rate choice, just the new Time-of-Day (5-8) plan.

So it sounds like there will be four choices over the next several years:
    New Fixed Rate + Eff 9/1/18
    Legacy Rate + Eff 1/1/17 + Expires on 12/31/22
    TOD (4-7pm) + Eff 7/1/17 + Expires on 13/21/22
    TOD (5-8pm) + Eff 1/1/18

I also noted that they will be removing the billed solar surcharge as they met the $ quota, They also will be surpassing the 5% solar sourcing requirement to change the NEM rules shortly, even though there are not any major suggested changed to NEM except as noted above.

I guess with all that, calculations will need to be done to see which of the older rate plans will be better for us. Which is hard math for me.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by steveholtam; 04-28-2017, 04:02 PM.

Hopefully whatever you were copying from still exists, so that the characters not handled by the forum software can be deleted and retyped.

SMUD is interesting in that don't have to follow the same rules as the IOUs (SDG&E, SCE, PG&E) with net metering, so they can sit back and watch how things develop before modifying their own plans.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Will try this again... I typed it in an Outlook email.

Last edited by steveholtam; 04-28-2017, 03:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by steveholtam View Post
        Will try this again... I typed it in an Outlook email.
        Thanks for the persistence. Looks similar to the NEM 2.0 requirements for the IOU's. The shift in peak TOU hours and the ratio between peak and off-peak pricing is continuing to evolve.

Comment

Yeah, not sure how my post got so messed up. Even pasted as plain text. Oh well. I've attached the source if anyone wants some more details.

Has anyone seen a TOU vs. fixed rate calculator?
          Attached Files

Comment

And expect things to continue to change as time goes on in terms of rates and T.O.U. times in particular.

Comment

You'll find some if you Google enough, but I can dig one up if needed. If tiering isn't involved, they tend to be straightforward if you have access to your metering history in hourly or more granular intervals.

Comment

Oh yeah, one last thing. There could be a change in collecting the true-up from annually to monthly. Or something like that. There was a note or suggestion based on people having to pay a bunch at true-up making it difficult for them to afford. I read so much that I'm not sure which document I sat that note.

Comment

Working...
                X