X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mix of new and degraded panels

I have installed 5 yingli panels of 250 watts TWO panels are new and THREE panels are degraded out put of panels is mentioned below

New Panels 8+8 Ampere = 16
    Degraded Panels 5.5+6.5+7 = 19
    Total Out put of the panel is 35
    I have connected them in Parallel with 10mm wire length of wire is almost 30 feet but when I measure the Ampere before entering in Inverter it is Maximum of 24 Ampere instead of 35
    my Charge controller is not MPPT wire is pure copper DC wire and new.
    Please guide me why this 11 ampere loss is and how can I fix it.
    Thanks
    Kamran

Under what conditions did you measure the 35 A?
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

I measured in peak hours and recorded reading separately of all the five panels their collective figure is 35 A while reaching to single wire to the inverter losses are almost 11 ampere

Comment

What are the chances that, while you measured the high output, the batteries were charging, and by the time you got to the last panels, the battery had started to reduce the power it was accepting as it charged up ?
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Excellent perception it could have happened but there is no possibility for this as I had put more load of appliances so that I could test maximum efficiency of my panels.
          question is on the roof all collective panels are giving 35 Ampere and on the lower roof where inverter is placed it gives Maximum 24 ampere and in Parallel Ampere should be add up is there any possibility that the collective is being ad up according to least efficient panel that is giving 5 ampere hence the total becomes 5 X 5 = 25 Amperes

Comment

What is the rated voltage and wattage of the panels? The large amperage variation sounds like you have different panels. If the amperage has dropped from something like 8 amps then that sounds more like defective panels. What is the reason you feel the 3 older panels are degraded? How are you combining the 5 panels?

Are all panels unshaded and oriented at the same angle to the sun?
            2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

Thanks for your reply all are of Yingli 250 Watt heading same direction towards sun they are connected parallel older panels I had purchased 2nd hand but my concept is as voltage are same and I am connecting parallel all the ampere should ad up and collectively they are 35 and should be a loss of maximum two ampere but they are loosing 11 ampere and reaching to Inverter only 24 at max.

Comment

If the older panels are the same as the new ones it sounds like you have a problem with them. They shouldn't degrade that severely, Knowing that Yingli 250 watt modules haven't been around that long and shouldn't have degraded more than say 5% in the few years they have been on the market me thinks you bought some bad panels. You need to individually load test them. Short circuit current is meaningless as there is no actual power flowing. Voltage x amperage = watts. In full sun, properly oriented I would expect at least 200 watts from them. @ 30ish volts that should be no less than 6.6 amps.

Are you actually getting 8 amps, under load, from the new panels?

You haven't told us how they are connected in parallel. Do you have a combiner box? Are the wires all twisted together with wire nuts?
                Last edited by littleharbor; 04-28-2017, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Sorry I was away and could not respond prompt, I am new in solar systems and donot know much. I have not used any combiner box and twisted wire with a simple tool.
                  Wire I used for combining panels is 6mm and main wire that goes to Inverter is 10mm. Is there possibility that panels with less output are forcing other panels down and collective output resultantly down or this doesnot make a difference in parallel connections? do you think that wire should be even thicker than 10 mm or this should work.

Comment

You are likely losing power with a mess of twisted wire creating a number of high resistance connections. Buy or make a decent fused combiner box.
                    You still need to address the low output of the old panels. I'm not sure if a pair of series wired 12 volt automotive light bulbs will give you a decent 24 volt load. Maybe someone here can suggest a proper method for load testing a 60 cell panel.
                    Series wired panels will be limited to the lowest panel's amperage. Parallel panels will simply add amperage. Is the voltage of all these panels the same?

Comment

Thank you very much for your prompt replies voltage are same of all the panels, Last thing if you could guide will be very helpful for me. I donot know any thing about combiner box if you could explain thanks & regards
                      Kamran

Comment

Combiner box 3.JPGCombiner box 2.jpgDIY combiner box.jpg
                        Here are examples of commercially made and DIY combiner boxes. Basically they will tale your individual panels, or strings of panels and fuse them, then combine them before sending the total array's power down the line to the controller or grid tie inverter through one set of larger appropriately sized wire. If you make your own be sure to use DC rated components and fuses. Look online at northern Arizona wind and sun and ebay for example. There are also threads and video tutorials on forums and on you tube.
                        Last edited by littleharbor; 04-29-2017, 11:46 AM.

Comment

Thank you very much all this info is very useful for me Thanks

Comment

Working...
                          X