X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • desant89
    • Mar 2017

Which LG panel for my home?

I am about to get a system installed. I found pricing I am happy with. Question is this. For the same exact price, would I be better off getting 40 LG320 60 cell 19.5% (LG320N1C-G4) or 34 LG365 72 cell 18.6%( LG365N2W-G4)

I get that the 320's will give me about .4 more k, but I am trying to figure out if there is any advantage with going with the 72 cell panels instead of taking the extra .4 Kilowatts. Thanks!
    Last edited by desant89; 04-20-2017, 08:11 PM.
  • sensij
    Solar Fanatic
    • Sep 2014

There will probably be some difference in racking costs. I recall from another post that you are using SolarEdge(?) You'll need an optimizer for each panel... the P320 optimizers (for the 60 cell panels) might actually be more expensive than the P400's, and you'll need more of them too, adding some expense to 320 W choice. By optimizing each 60 cells instead of each 72 cells, I guess you are theoretically improving the optimization, which might fractionally improve the output, but it doesn't seem like that would add up to much.

Comparing the data sheets... the 72 cell has a lower NOCT (45 vs 46), and a better PTC ratio (269/365 = 73.7%, 234/320 = 73.1%). Those favor the 72 cell panel, but it is hard to know how much faith to put in those numbers, given the measuring / test error involved. They are both Neon 2's, so the cell technology should be the same.

If your installer is saying that either system would be the same price... are they roof mount? Does one layout look "better" than another?
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

• desant89
      • Mar 2017

Originally posted by sensij
      There will probably be some difference in racking costs. I recall from another post that you are using SolarEdge(?) You'll need an optimizer for each panel... the P320 optimizers (for the 60 cell panels) might actually be more expensive than the P400's, and you'll need more of them too, adding some expense to 320 W choice. By optimizing each 60 cells instead of each 72 cells, I guess you are theoretically improving the optimization, which might fractionally improve the output, but it doesn't seem like that would add up to much.

Comparing the data sheets... the 72 cell has a lower NOCT (45 vs 46), and a better PTC ratio (269/365 = 73.7%, 234/320 = 73.1%). Those favor the 72 cell panel, but it is hard to know how much faith to put in those numbers, given the measuring / test error involved. They are both Neon 2's, so the cell technology should be the same.

If your installer is saying that either system would be the same price... are they roof mount? Does one layout look "better" than another?
      Both rear roof mount so layout won't matter(not visible at all). No shading, and two different installers. Companies are equal to me. Cost is the same to the penny.

Comment

• J.P.M.
        Solar Fanatic
        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by desant89

Both rear roof mount so layout won't matter(not visible at all). No shading, and two different installers. Companies are equal to me. Cost is the same to the penny.
        Did you share prices w/competing vendors ? What is cost/STC Watt ?

Comment

• desant89
          • Mar 2017

I had a friend that knew what I was paying already refer someone. So instead of beating that price, they offered me the larger system for the same exact price. So no matter how we look at it, the larger system is cheaper per watt. The original was 3.00/watt. The new one is 2.91/watt. Both SolarEdge 11.4 with optimizers. Also both companies Giving me 500.00 cash back at completion of install. Same warranty also.

Comment

• J.P.M.
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

I had a friend that knew what I was paying already refer someone. So instead of beating that price, they offered me the larger system for the same exact price. So no matter how we look at it, the larger system is cheaper per watt. The original was 3.00/watt. The new one is 2.91/watt. Both SolarEdge 11.4 with optimizers. Also both companies Giving me 500.00 cash back at completion of install. Same warranty also.
            Thank you.

Comment

• emartin00
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

If the cost is the same to you either way, and you aren't doing the install yourself, go with the cheaper per watt option.

Comment

• foo1bar
                Solar Fanatic
                • Aug 2014

Also both companies Giving me 500.00 cash back at completion of install.
                Why?
                From every possible perspective (taxes, ROI, etc) getting $500 cash back is the exact same thing as paying $500 less.
                I expect to pay a contractor after they've finished the work - not before and then hope they give me $500 back.

(If you're thinking you might claim the bigger amount for your tax rebate, there's a phrase for that - "tax fraud")

Comment

• desant89
                  • Mar 2017

Originally posted by foo1bar
                  Why?
                  From every possible perspective (taxes, ROI, etc) getting $500 cash back is the exact same thing as paying $500 less.
                  I expect to pay a contractor after they've finished the work - not before and then hope they give me $500 back.

(If you're thinking you might claim the bigger amount for your tax rebate, there's a phrase for that - "tax fraud")
                  Not sure I follow you. One of them had a mailer stating that you get 500 cash back after installation is complete. The other one simply matched it. The prices I posted did NOT include the 500 cash back. Apparently it must help them doing it that way. Either way, I did not even include that at all in my decision process. If they want to claim the full amount, and not take the 500 off on their end when reporting it, that is not my problem. You are right though, to me, I paid 500 less. Tax rebate wont matter too much as it will take me 5 years to get close to the full benefit anyway so I have no plans on claiming I paid that 500.

Comment

• foo1bar
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Aug 2014

Not sure I follow you. One of them had a mailer stating that you get 500 cash back after installation is complete. The other one simply matched it. The prices I posted did NOT include the 500 cash back. Apparently it must help them doing it that way.
                    OK - so it's probably a marketing gimmick.

I would guess the final bill you get from them will have it subtracted out.

Or at least my expectation would be the final bill would be due AFTER everything is up, running, inspected, approved by POCO, and no issues for at least a few days.

Comment

Working...