X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Quote

Hi Everyone,

Received my first quote on solar for my house. Here is the breakdown.

6.46kWh system for $17,927 = $2.92 Kwh
    Canadian 340w mono panels and Emphase IQ6+ inverters

The system will be roof mounted with partial shading issues during certain times during a neighbors tree.

How does this look to everyone? The installer is recommended by my office neighbor who is a roofer, the installer also has great online reviews. I will also be collecting more quotes tomorrow.

Thanks ahead of time!

Originally posted by 180ls1 View Post
    6.46kWh system for $17,927 = $2.92 Kwh
    Canadian 340w mono panels and Emphase IQ6+ inverters
    That would be
    6.46kW system at $2.92/w
    also it is Enphase.

Is $17,927 before incentives or after?
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by ButchDeal View Post

That would be
      6.46kW system at $2.92/w
      also it is Enphase.

Is $17,927 before incentives or after?
      Before.

He is also claiming to install a new box if needed for $2,000 and free electric car charging station or plug for an electric vehicle.

This seems like a pretty good deal from what research I have done. The only thing I am unsure of is the panel quality and if I should look at upgrading to something like LG panels.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Before.

He is also claiming to install a new box if needed for $2,000 and free electric car charging station or plug for an electric vehicle.

This seems like a pretty good deal from what research I have done. The only thing I am unsure of is the panel quality and if I should look at upgrading to something like LG panels.

Thanks for the reply.
        Panels from known mfg. are about the same decent, fit for purpose quality and mostly a commodity. Either of those is a quality product, making "upgrading" a superfluous concept.

Comment

I think the advice J.P.M gave me while I was going through this process was very useful - read, read and read a little more. Start with the Dummies book and go from there. There will never be a situation where you have too much knowledge. Actually more info you have - better equipped you will be to negotiate a better price or a better systems with add-ons that you want. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post

Panels from known mfg. are about the same decent, fit for purpose quality and mostly a commodity. Either of those is a quality product, making "upgrading" a superfluous concept.
            Ok great. So in your opinion are they the go to for a budget panel?

Comment

I have Canadian Solar in my 3 kW system running 2 years now, and will be using them for an 8 kW system under construction. They seem fine to me.
              CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post

I have Canadian Solar in my 3 kW system running 2 years now, and will be using them for an 8 kW system under construction. They seem fine to me.
                Good to know. From what I am reading it seems like a cheaper panel may very well do the same job as a more expensive one and with the cost savings in panels I can use that money as an "insurance" if one or two of the panels breaks and the company is out of warranty or bankrupt. If they don't have issues then I will have saved a good amount of money.

I am also reading that a faulty panel will make itself known rather quickly, is that true? Like panels generally will fail within the first year or so, not 10 years down the road. This would further strengthen the argument towards cheap panels IMO.

Comment

No. FWIW, my opinion is that, when properly installed with other quality components, products from either mfg. are probably fit for purpose. Once you get beyond mongrel and into known mfg. territory, the terms "budget" or "cheaper" have little meaning. Read again: " known panels are mostly a commodity these days." IMO, either of those panels is a worthy, fit for purpose product. Beyond that, I'd spend more time interviewing potential installers.

Comment

Working...
                  X