X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enphase M190s

An acquaintance of mine was contacted by his installer with an offer to swap out all M190s free of charge. Has anyone else with first-gen M190s received this offer? My array has had 15 failures (out of 67) since 2010, although none recently.
    SHF produces something besides manure!

Yes, a year or two ago there were similar reports. Some good searching in the forum might turn up the relevant threads.
    CS6P-260P/SE3000 - http://tiny.cc/ed5ozx

Comment

Yes, I was aware of the issue, my question was whether Enphase decided to replace them all proactively in some sort of massive recall.

Comment

Originally posted by silverhorsefarm View Post
        Yes, I was aware of the issue, my question was whether Enphase decided to replace them all proactively in some sort of massive recall.
        Enphase starting reaching out to owners to proactively recall the M190's a couple years ago. I'll try to come up with a thread reference at some point. They seem to be contacting people on a system by system basis... perhaps there is something in the data they receive that lets them know who to contact next.

Comment

I'm going off of memory here because I can't find any source to back it up, but Enphase did a recall years ago (2009?), long enough ago that I wouldn't think that this is directly related to it. Enphase did replace the old recalled M190s with a newer generation that was basically a M215. The thing I am curious about is what exactly is being offered as a replacement? Enphase phased out the M190s and M210 years ago (2010 - 2011?) and no longer offers them as a product.

Comment

Originally posted by Relaxedchap View Post
            I'm going off of memory here because I can't find any source to back it up, but Enphase did a recall years ago (2009?), long enough ago that I wouldn't think that this is directly related to it. Enphase did replace the old recalled M190s with a newer generation that was basically a M215. The thing I am curious about is what exactly is being offered as a replacement? Enphase phased out the M190s and M210 years ago (2010 - 2011?) and no longer offers them as a product.
            The M175 was recalled in 2009, replaced by the M190. The M190 recall seems to be more targeted, over a longer period of time. It is possible that it isn't Enphase driving it at all, just installers seeking to reduce their liability by replacing a bunch all at once, rather than in onesie-twosies as the failures trickle in.

Comment

22% failure rate........I guess you have a right to complain.

Comment

Originally posted by sensij View Post

It is possible that it isn't Enphase driving it at all, just installers seeking to reduce their liability by replacing a bunch all at once, rather than in onesie-twosies as the failures trickle in.
                Or, possibly installer's or others way to handle the consequences and end game of having multiple failure points. Doesn't happen all the time, but more possible/potential failure points, as in micro vs. string inverters increases the probability of more failures, especially when those points are in harsher, uncontrolled environment (like on a roof). I suspect the warranty cost of replacing several micros w/1 service call is quite a bit less than multiple service calls. The mfg. cost of the micros is probably peanuts in comparison.

Comment

My installer wrote me today and said that they would be swapping out all 67 1st gen M190s in the months to come. This must be costing Enphase a fortune.

Comment

I've had 5 out 10 M190's fail. I have not had any offers to replace all of them. are they still doing this? Also, how much do they reimburse for installation labor?

Comment

Is it difficult to replace the M190 yourself, or do you need to hire a contractor?

Comment

The installer says they will get to me in the new year, but they won't say when. In the interim, they are not replacing the current failures. They are performing all the labor

Comment

thanks for the update. was that a typo about enphase not replacing failing micro-inverters? or did you mean to say they are replacing failing parts? I had one fail a few days back and am waiting to hear back from them.

Comment

they have stopped doing one-off replacements while I await having all 67 replaced at once.

Comment

Working...
                            X