X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gcherian
    • Mar 2017

Anyone with Dividend Solar experience

We are evaluating and finalizing 2 quotes for our Solar project. We looking to go with Dividend Solar for a short term - till IRC (Federal and State) comes back.

One installer is touting the 20 year warranty, 5 year performance guarantee that Dividend offers. This includes the guarantee of alternate service provider in case the original installer is not available to service the unit. The question we have is if we finish the loan in 2 years or less, will the 20 year warranty and 5 year performance guarantee still be good? It almost looks like because of the original loan term of 20 years, they want to protect their investment (equipment) and if we are done in year 1 - what is the incentive of dividend solar to honor the warranty and guarantees? At this time it is curiosity factor to know if they are clear on this (planning to call them Monday) or are they purposely vague about the details (devil is always in the details!).

We are not planning to make the final decision based on this above question - but it is always good to know what the details are.

If anyone has experience with Dividend Solar - please let us know. Thank you.
  • azdave
    • Oct 2014

Read your contract carefully if in doubt!

I paid cash up front and got the same system and warranty as someone who is financing. Why would you not get the same?

How will my treatment be if I have a warranty issue? Who knows until it happens. I went with a locally owned electrical company that is 40 years in the community and over 10 years as solar installers.
    Dave W. Gilbert AZ
    6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Read the contract carefully. If there are terms or conflicts within the contract you do not understand, or seem vague or ambiguous, get those things clarified in writing by someone in authority at the other end. Only then, and only if no other better terms are available or other deals from reputable, established, local electrical contractors would I consider such a contract.

This is no different than any other contract. Read the contract. Get clarifications for anything you do not understand. Remember, everything is negotiable, including most all contract terms. If you cannot reach agreement, or feel less than comfortable, walk away. There are always other vendors. After you do walk, do enough homework and get educated, and you'll at least know more about what you're buying and probably get a better system for a better price with terms you will understand from a different vendor.

Comment

• gcherian
        • Mar 2017

I will - have not gotten there yet to get the contract papers in hand. All these are are before the final decision questions. I just have to make the decision now Thanks everyone.

Comment

• sdold
          • Jun 2014

Are you saying you need to make the decision now, before you have the contract papers in hand and understand the terms? I hope that's not what you mean. There shouldn't be a rush, I'd want to look at the contract for a day or two and really understand everything before signing.
          Last edited by sdold; 04-10-2017, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• gcherian
            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by sdold
            Are you saying you need to make the decision now, before you have the contract papers in hand and understand the terms? I hope that's not what you mean. There shouldn't be a rush, I'd want to look at the contract for a day or two and really understand everything before signing.
            No - I could just request all the terms and conditions of the contract before I make the decision.

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by gcherian

No - I could just request all the terms and conditions of the contract before I make the decision.
              Reread what Azdave and sdold write - several times. As sdold suggests: What's the big hurry ? A good deal today will still be a good deal next week - maybe better if you balk at the terms and the price.

Wait for, and read, the contract. Carefully. Several times making deletions, changes and corrections as you require. That can be a form of contract negotiation. Do not sign until you get a much as you want, or more likely, as much as you can negotiate. But always know what you're agreeing to. And, take your time. This is not a race. If you get pressure to sign - walk.

Do not sign a contract if ANYTHING in it is not understood. Take it to an attorney if you are unsure of anything. That's no guarantee of anything, but it's a form of cheap insurance and another set of eyes and experiences.

Do not assume anything that is not in writing and part of the contract, either in the body of the contract or included in the contract by reference will happen. It won't.

Other stuff not in the contract does not count. Omissions of details do not count. Get everything you expect to have and be done as part of what you pay for in writing on the contract. Verbal assurances are worth less than the paper they're written on. Assume nothing.

Read the above several times.

Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.

Comment

• gcherian
                • Mar 2017

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Reread what Azdave and sdold write - several times. As sdold suggests: What's the big hurry ? A good deal today will still be a good deal next week - maybe better if you balk at the terms and the price.

Wait for, and read, the contract. Carefully. Several times making deletions, changes and corrections as you require. That can be a form of contract negotiation. Do not sign until you get a much as you want, or more likely, as much as you can negotiate. But always know what you're agreeing to. And, take your time. This is not a race. If you get pressure to sign - walk.

Do not sign a contract if ANYTHING in it is not understood. Take it to an attorney if you are unsure of anything. That's no guarantee of anything, but it's a form of cheap insurance and another set of eyes and experiences.

Do not assume anything that is not in writing and part of the contract, either in the body of the contract or included in the contract by reference will happen. It won't.

Other stuff not in the contract does not count. Omissions of details do not count. Get everything you expect to have and be done as part of what you pay for in writing on the contract. Verbal assurances are worth less than the paper they're written on. Assume nothing.

Read the above several times.

Take what you want of the above. Scrap the rest.
                Great timely advice and reminder to not get caught up in the thrill of choosing a system/installer - big investment requires big commitment to get it right and have no regrets later. Thank you.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2013

Originally posted by gcherian

Great timely advice and reminder to not get caught up in the thrill of choosing a system/installer - big investment requires big commitment to get it right and have no regrets later. Thank you.
                  You are welcome. You will also be just fine. Question everything everyone says, including me, until you understand what you are being told. Knowledge is power. Get educated. Caveat Emptor.

Comment

Working...