X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SolarEdge Support WTF moment

My 2 y/o home gateway went braindead, couldn't pair with the slave board and lights wouldn't flash as described in the manual. So took it offline and put in the drawer and opened a Solar Edge ticket. Then it went quiet for 2 weeks then all of a sudden I get an e-mail saying they were able to login into my gateway remotely, run a factory reset, and were able to make it connect to my neighbor's inverter but not my own, and since it is working just fine they can't authorize a warranty replacement. I get it they could in theory bypass my firewall through an already open connection if the gateway was online and do what they described, but they must have some very cool technology to be able to get to a disconnected unit sitting in the drawer and make it connect to an inverter. Sarcasm aside I wasn't very pleased with the service. My installer is getting me a new gateway, so I politely told SE they are a bunch of morons and can close the case. Now I'm concerned getting a warranty service on the inverter if it fails can be challenging.
    Last edited by gvl; 04-01-2017, 01:23 AM.

This is terminology. The zigbee com card is on the inverter. The gateway is the thing you put into the drawer. I suspect that they got the com card in your inverter to connect to your neighbors gateway. This is likely the reason yours stopped working, interferience with the neighbors zigbee system.
    Last edited by ButchDeal; 04-01-2017, 02:36 PM.
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Huh? Connected exactly how? No one was at my property so it must have been done remotely. I don't have a CDMA module in my inverter. The white box IS the gateway and was the only link between the inverter and the outside world in my case. I'm sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by gvl View Post
        Huh? Connected exactly how? No one was at my property so it must have been done remotely. I don't have a CDMA module in my inverter. The white box IS the gateway and was the only link between the inverter and the outside world in my case. I'm sorry, but you don't know what you are talking about.
        What I am suggesting is that the tech was confusing the gateway with the com card that is in your inverter. That your inverters zigbee com card might have joined your neighbors zigbee gateway when it was set up. The gateway can have up to 15 com cards connected to it.

http://solaredge.com/us/products/com...-gateway-kit#/

I do manage more than a few systems with these cards and gateways. Some of them are up for years with zero problems, others have problems pretty regularly. 90% of our communications issues are users that disconnect the gateway. One customer would regularly contact us about communication going down weekly. Turns out the cleaning lady was unplugging it every week to plug in her vacuum...
        Others are just distance or a lot of other radio interference. Placing them close to wifi routers also causes range issues as the two antennas should be separated by a yard or so.

Comment

You're not getting my point, there was absolutely no way techically they could connect to my system. They either lied or connected to someone else's gateway.

Comment

Originally posted by gvl View Post
            You're not getting my point, there was absolutely no way techically they could connect to my system. They either lied or connected to someone else's gateway.
            They can't really connect to the gateway just the inverter. So if they connected to your inverter through the neighbors gateway then your data would have started flowing. This would have most likely happened when someone was working in the neighbors solar. If yours was not connected and someone put the neighbors gateway into discovery mode yours might have joined ( depending on the version of software on your inverter). Your gateway in your drawer would not be able to be connected to as it was not powered on.

So so was your inverter showing data on solaredge monitoring site during this time? Of course it is possible that they had the wrong inverter as well as we have seen systems with incorrect addresses in solaredge monitoring. Generally when I put in tickets with them I give the siteid as well as serial number of the inverter to insure there is no confusion.

since the units are two parts there is absolutely no reason you shouldn't get a factory replacement since they claim they can not get your inverter connected. We have had them replaced with just intermittent connection problems.
            Last edited by ButchDeal; 04-01-2017, 03:19 PM.

Comment

Please stop this nonsense. My inverter had no zigbee board in it when they claimed they could connect to my gateway, and the gateway was offline too. The inverter could not be reached from my neighbors gateway as it had no RF capability at that time.

Comment

Are you saying that you removed the com card from your inverter?

Comment

I did.

Comment

Working...
                  X