X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Auream
    • Mar 2017

Anyone ever heard of a "Solar Limited Partnership?"

New poster, been lurking for a while but ran into something I've never heard of before so I'm really hoping someone has some idea what exactly this is and if its even legal...

So I've been looking into getting solar panels on my house (I'm in the Raleigh, NC area). Submitted my info to a lead gen company (not solar reviews) and got back a few quotes. One was quite odd, because the quote itself was normal but then it said something like "Check out the attached PDF to see how you can save much more" or something like that. Here's the PDF.

Specifically, the first option, "Limited Partner for Demonstrational Solar." They somehow are using some financial engineering to mark up the cost of panels/installation to $8/watt, have that paid for by a company (limited partnership) that you buy into, then assign the 30% tax credit to you which is much higher than it would normally be because it is based on that inflated price.

But wait, where does the money come from for the partnership to pay this higher price, if you're only putting in $3/watt or so? Obviously it has to come from somewhere, right? The rep told me this: Your partnership buy in and buy out accounts for 36% of the total $8/watt, the depreciation pay in accounts for 39% which gets paid into the total $8/watt over 5 years, and the remaining 25% is paid over 5 years through other local/state rebates and federal grant money, we include an ROI Guarantee for your 30% and buyout option at year 5 so you become the sole owner whether we get all the USDA grant money or not.

Basically, in theory, by taking advantage of buying into this partnership instead of directly paying for the panels, I can get high-end panasonic panels installed for less than a dollar a watt. Anyone ever hear of such a thing? My BS detector is going off, but maybe I'm naive and this is a well-known technique to take advantage of generous government subsidies.
    Last edited by solar pete; 03-25-2017, 07:03 PM.
  • peakbagger
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2010

The standard answer is see your financial advisor and hope he isn't Bernie Madoff

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

I smell SCAM.

Comment

• Sunking
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Auream
        My BS detector is going off,
        I would hope so. Run, do not walk away.

MSEE, PE

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

You might get a really high tax credit that lasts until you are audited. Then the penalties pile up very fast.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Auream
            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by inetdog
            You might get a really high tax credit that lasts until you are audited. Then the penalties pile up very fast.
            That's exactly what I was thinking. You can try to take any tax credit you want on your taxes, and it'll probably even "work" for a year or two, but if/when you get audited, all bets are off. Anyway, nice to see that everyone is on the same page as me, that this can't be legit. I just figured I'd ask around and see if anyone had heard of such a thing.

Comment

• cebury
              Solar Fanatic
              • Sep 2011

See if theyll give you the exact contract right now. Do as you wish, but a few years back Sunpower worked with local vendors on a prepaid lease program that was an absolutely unbelievable good deal.. selling the systems for 3/watt when going rate was about 6/watt. Most folks here didn't believe it was real, but it was and there were very few downsides. They provided the contract up front so there was no hidden magic. The deal however expired that year as a special depreciation loophole closed.

If it were me, I'd spend the time reading it and learning for myself if it was a scam or not. Then you can come back here and share what you found

Comment

Working...