X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Originally posted by peakbagger
    I like my adjustable angle pole mount, it took my 15 minutes to adjust the angle from Winter (30 Deg off vertical) to Spring (45 degrees off vertical). I have the two sway braces installed in winter to the corners of the array but for the rest of the year I only use one. If high winds are predicted I can always hook up the other one. Adjusting the sway braces take longer than actually adjusting the pole angle.
    FWIW, if I had a ground mount, which would have been my STRONG preference if I had the area, the array would have been a single axis adjustable similar to what you describe with probably a few variations, but the idea is to have adjustable tilt. My solar magnum opus residence I designed (but never built) out in the desert used a single axis adjustable ground mount array. In my book, if a PV array is considered, single axis adjustable ground mount offers the best way to go if at all possible.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.

FWIW, if I had a ground mount, which would have been my STRONG preference if I had the area, the array would have been a single axis adjustable similar to what you describe with probably a few variations, but the idea is to have adjustable tilt. My solar magnum opus residence I designed (but never built) out in the desert used a single axis adjustable ground mount array. In my book, if a PV array is considered, single axis adjustable ground mount offers the best way to go if at all possible.
      If all goes as planned, my pv system will be a ground mount and have a single axis manual adjustment. It won't be big since my home will be much smaller and much more energy efficient so I really don't know how big the system is going to be and a 6kw system might even be over kill.

Comment

• bcroe
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.

Pretty much my conclusions as well, plus additional requirements. The array here was supposed to be adjustable tilt, but I
        received no drawings in advance. What was built had the center of gravity so far from the pivot point, that seasonable
        changes would require a LOT of time, and equipment I didn't have. So currently I suffer some lost winter production
        and more snow accumulation.

If you want to keep snow off, a ground mount seems a whole lot safer and more practical than roof mount. Stopping a
        huge buildup of snow in front of the lowest panel is just a matter of gapping the rows so most snow falls underneath the
        array; allows MUCH LOWER mounting and far less difficult snow removal. Bruce Roe

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by bcroe

Pretty much my conclusions as well, plus additional requirements. The array here was supposed to be adjustable tilt, but I
          received no drawings in advance. What was built had the center of gravity so far from the pivot point, that seasonable
          changes would require a LOT of time, and equipment I didn't have. So currently I suffer some lost winter production

If you want to keep snow off, a ground mount seems a whole lot safer and more practical than roof mount. Stopping a
          huge buildup of snow in front of the lowest panel is just a matter of gapping the rows so most snow falls underneath the
          array; allows MUCH LOWER mounting and far less difficult snow removal. Bruce Roe
          Or just have the array mounted much farther South and avoid all the white stuff.

Comment

• ButchDeal
            Solar Fanatic
            • Apr 2014

Originally posted by SunEagle

Or just have the array mounted much farther South and avoid all the white stuff.
            seems like some massive voltage drop with that solution
            OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Originally posted by bcroe

I'd have fired the drawing checker.

Comment

Working...