Clear All

475 volts of direct current can be hazardous

Comment

image_9222.png
      Originally posted by drbob View Post
      Yea.

Comment

What did you end up doing for equipment? Connexus has been really good to work with.

Im just down the road if you want to swing by and bs about solar.

Comment

lethal.

Comment

Your electrical inspector can ruin your day, but possibly save your life. I have been an electrician in Wisconsin for 40 years and have fixed many shoddy jobs in my lifetime.
            I have no issues with getting an electrical permit or having an inspection. I have never not passed an electrical inspection on the first inspection. I couldn't tell you how much dangerous electrical work I found in the 1980 built house I bought in 2014. I found at least half a dozen cut off live wires most sealed under drywall.

I decided to go with microinverters so no working with high voltage DC.

Comment

Originally posted by reader2580 View Post

I have no issues with getting an electrical permit or having an inspection. I have never not passed an electrical inspection on the first inspection. I couldn't tell you how much dangerous electrical work I found in the 1980 built house I bought in 2014. I found at least half a dozen cut off live wires most sealed under drywall.

which brand & model of micro-inverter are you using?

Comment

And yet 120v AC power will kill you just as fast as high voltage DC.

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

Not to mention 240v AC coming out of most micros
                  OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

more exposure to AC than DC by the general public.

Comment

Any way you slice it, a PV solar system handles a lot of peak power with a lot of potential risk. When
                      the numbers were in, I decided to go for the efficiency of higher voltage. The wiring is carefully done,
                      most of it buried, and there are 5 HIGH VOLTAGE warning signs on the array. Servicing is very
                      carefully done, largely at night under lights plugged into the AC outlets brought out to the array.
                      Still, I won't be too surprised if I find a fried deer someday, who tried to jump through a panel.
                      Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by Jest Waitn View Post

more exposure to AC than DC by the general public.
                        I don't have the numbers but there are a lot of people getting hurt or worse each year from a standard 120volt source.

Because people feel more comfortable around AC they have a tendency to become complacent and end up getting electrocuted.

For some reason anything that is listed as High Voltage (AC or DC) tends to get their attention and more respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Dsspro View Post
                          What did you end up doing for equipment? Connexus has been really good to work with.

Im just down the road if you want to swing by and bs about solar.
                          How do I get in touch with you since we don't seem to have a PM feature here?

Comment

How do I get in touch with you since we don't seem to have a PM feature here?
                            There are no PM's.

Comment

Working...
                            X